The G2 Project: Establishing A CSU “Grand Grid” for Scientific Computing in Research and Education
The G2 project reflects a systematic effort to functionally link computational resources across all California Sate University (CSU) campuses. The result is a CSU wide Grand Grid that provides a computing ecosystem where Computational Resources within and outside CSU can join in fully or partially while they maintain their autonomy. The Grand Grid provides interfaces for secure and efficient interaction among distinct administrative domains depending on the classification of the user accessing a service on the Grid and the hosting site(s) of the applications supporting the service. The current computational state, the architectural principles, and a high level blueprint of the Grand Grid are presented in this paper. Globus Toolkit v4 is presented as the leading candidate for middleware on which the Grand Grid is being built, and an initial set of participating CSU computational resources that help in shaping the Grand Grid is introduced.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Bernholdt, S. Bharathi, D. Brown, K. Chanchio, M. Chen, A. Chervenak, L. Cinquini, B. Drach, I. Foster, P. Fox, J. Garcia, C. Kesselman, B. Markel, D. Middleton, V. Nefedova, L. Pouchard, A. Shoshani, A. Sim, G. Strand, and D. Williams, “The Earth System Grid: Supporting the Next generation of Climate Modeling Research,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 93, No.3, March 2005, pp. 485-495.Google Scholar
- B. Spencer, T.A. Finholt, I. Foster, C. Kesselman, C. Beldica, J. Futrelle, S. Gullapalli, P. Hubbard, L. Liming, D. Marcusiu, L. Pearlman, C. Severance, G. Yang , “NEESGID: A Distributed Collaboratory for Advanced Earthquake Engineering Experiment Simulation,” 13th World Conf. on Earthquake Eng., Vancouver, B.C., Canada, Aug. 1-6, 2004.Google Scholar
- K. Keahey, M.E. Papka, Q. Peng, D. Schissel, G. Abla, T. Araki, J. Burruss, E. Feibush, P. Lane, S. Klasky, T. Leggett, D. McCune, and L Randerson, “Grids for Experimental Science: The Virtual Control Room,” Challenges of Large Applications in Distributed Environments, Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on, June 7, 2004, pp. 4-11.Google Scholar
- The Globus Alliance: http://www.globus.org/
- I. Foster, “Service-Oriented Science,” Science, vol. 308, May 6, 2005.Google Scholar