A study on Enhanced Multipath Routing Protocol in Hybrid Wireless Mesh Network
Hybrid Wireless Mesh Networks (HWMNs) based on the IEEE 802.11 are being increasingly deployed as a varied network of Mobile Ad-hoc Network (MANET) to provide users with extended coverage for wireless Internet access. HWAN, however, has a problem of too wide broadcasting of the Route Request (RREQ) in the route discovery of the Ad hoc Ondemand Distance Vector (AODV) protocol. In this paper, to enhance the performance of the AODV protocol, we have transformed it into a multipath protocol and proposed a new protocol that overcomes disadvantage of AODV by composing the neighbor table for overloaded RREQ. The neighbor table is provided in the form of metric using several items including the bandwidth. This can bring the localization effect of the nodes and we can expect a performance improvement by preventing an overloaded RREQ. Through the simulation, we could confirm better performance in packet loss rate, throughput, packet delivery ratio and routing overhead than the DSR protocol and AODV protocol.
KeywordsMesh Network Packet Delivery Ratio Packet Loss Rate Route Discovery Wireless Mesh Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- IEEE, “Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications 802.11,” 1997.Google Scholar
- A. A. Pirzada and C. McDonald, “Establishing Trust in Pure Ad-hoc Networks,” in Proceedings of the 27th Australasian Computer Science Conference (ACSC), vol. 26. Australian Computer Society, 2004, pp. 47-54.Google Scholar
- K. Ramachandran, M. Buddhikot, G. Chandranmenon, S. Miller, E. Belding-Royer, and K. Almeroth, “On the Design and Implementation of Infrastructure Mesh Networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Workshop on Wireless Mesh Networks (WiMesh). IEEE Press, 2005.Google Scholar
- Mohammad l. . et. al.,”The hand book of Ad hoc Wireless Networks”, CRC Press, 2003.Google Scholar
- B. Karp and H. T. Kung, GPSR: Greedy perimeter stateless routing for wireless networks, Proceedings of ACM Mobi-Com’ 00, Aug. 2000.Google Scholar
- I. S. P. Bose, P. Morin and J. Urrutia, Routing with guaranteed delivery in ad hoc wireless networks, ACM/ Kluwer Wireless Networks, November 2001.Google Scholar
- D. B. Johnson, D. A. Maltz, and Y. Hu, “The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad hoc Networks (DSR),” IETF MANET, Internet Draft, 2003.Google Scholar
- C. Perkins, E. M. Royer, and S. Das, “Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing,” IETF RFC 3561, 2003.Google Scholar
- NS, “The Network Simulator,” http:/ / www.isi.edu/ nsnam/ ns/ , 1989.Google Scholar
- A. S. Tanenbaum, Computer Networks, 4th ed. Prentice Hall, 2002.Google Scholar