Water Influence on Bearing Capacity and Pavement Performance: Field Observations
This chapter presents a mechanical behaviour study, i.e. the bearing capacity as a function of the moisture degree. The field point of view is expressed and the chapter summarises a number of observations on road behaviour, in relation to variations of moisture. First, the road structure is recalled with respect to the mechanical analysis point of view. Then some observations on field under temperate climate, humid, are given. In a second step, the specific case of frost and thawing are discussed.
KeywordsBearing capacity moisture level field measurement stiffness rutting thawing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gerke, R.J., 1979, “Subsurface Drainage: Progress Report”, September, Australian Road Research Board. Internal Report, AIR 317-1.Google Scholar
- Hall, K.T. & Crovetti, J.A., 2007, “Effects of Subsurface Drainage on Pavement Performance, Analysis of the SPS-1 and SPS-2 Field Sections”, NCHRP Report 583, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, 92pp. & Annexes.Google Scholar
- Lay, M.G., 1986, “Handbook of Road Technology, Volume 1: Planning and Pavements”, Gordon & Breach Science Publishers.Google Scholar
- Moris, P.O. & Gray, W.J., 1976, “Moisture conditions under roads in the Australian environment”. Australian Road Research Board, Research Report, ARR No. 69.Google Scholar
- Roy, M. & Johnson, F.D.J., 1979, “M5 Motorway – Blackbrook to Chelston. Report of an Investigation of the Southbound and Northbound Carriageways”, Somerset County Council, Taunton, UK, Report 71/79A, (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Saarenketo T., Kolisoja P., Luiro K., Maijala P. & Vuorimies N., 2002, “Percostation for Real Time Monitoring Moisture Variations, Frost Depth and Spring Thaw Weakening”, Paper presented to Transport Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington DC, available on CD Rom.Google Scholar
- Savard, Y., de Blois, K., Bontonnet, M., Hornych, P. & Manduit, C., 2005, “Analysis of seasonal bearing capacity correlated to pavement deformation in cold regions”, 7th Int. Conf. Bearing Capacity Roads, Railways & Airfields, Trondheim, Norway, June.Google Scholar
- Wiman, L., 2001, “Accelerated Load Testing of pavements, HVS-Nordic Tests in Sweden 1999”, VTI report 477A-2001; accessible at http://www.vti.se/templates/Page_3250.aspx (there are 4 underline characters between ‘Page’ and ‘3250’).