Watershed Management in the Russian Federation and Transboundary Issues by Example of Kaliningrad Oblast (Russia)
Presented overview of Russian system of water management contains information on history of water accounting system, existed legislative issues and system of water basin districts and administrations, statistics on water consumption in the Russian Federation (1970–1998). Water use at the regional level and transboundary use of water resources are illustrated by example of the Kaliningrad Oblast, an enclave Russian territory in the South-East Baltic. Overlapped structure of boundaries of administrative units and watersheds is a basis for downscaling of transboundary issues till the level of local municipalities. Some basic statistics on water consumption, information on price for water use as well as on responsibilities of local water administration are given.
KeywordsRussian Federation Kaliningrad Oblast water use watershed transboundary South-East Baltic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chubarenko B.V., Alexeev F.E. 2005. Trans-boundary character of water resources in the South-east Baltic as the basis of the strategy for sustainable development of water resources. [In] Perspectives of interregional cooperation development: Kaliningrad Oblast within the Euro-region “Baltic”. Kaliningrad, Terra Baltica, pp. 202-223.Google Scholar
- Chubarenko, B., Domnin, D. 2008a. Watershed and administrative division of Kaliningrad region. [In] Chubarenko B.V. (Ed.). Transboundary waters and basins in the South-East Baltic. Kaliningrad, Terra Baltica, pp. 24-31.Google Scholar
- Chubarenko, B., Domnin, D. 2008b. International and inner transboundary river basins in the Kaliningrad Oblast, South-East Baltic. [In] Integrated water management: practical expe-riences and case study. Earth and Environmental Sciences, Vol. 80. Springer Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 309-321.Google Scholar
- Danilov-Danilian, V.I. 2006. Water resources is a key factor of long-term development of Russian economy. All-Russia call of intellectual projects “Power”, nomination “World Power”. (In Russian) http://www.fondedin.ru/dok/03_Danil_Dan_m.pdf
- Demin, A.P. 2000. Tendencies in water use and protection in Russian Federation. Journal of Russian Water Resources 27(6), 735-754 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Domnin, D.A., Chubarenko, B.V. 2008. The atlas of transboundary river basins of the Kaliningrad Oblast. Kaliningrad, Terra Baltica, 43 p. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- ENVRUS 9803. 2000. Tacis ENVRUS 9803 Project on water environmental monitoring and management in the Kaliningrad Region.Google Scholar
- Forsius, K. (Ed.). 2005. Evaluation of the transboundary pollution loads: HELCOM – Environmental focal point information. HELCOM Publication, 14 p.Google Scholar
- Grozdev, H., Kondratenko, S. 2005. Problems in infrastructure development of municipal water supply and water treatment in the Kaliningrad Oblast. [In] Sustainable management and protection of water resources, priorities of municipal water supply in the Kaliningrad Oblast. Kaliningrad, Terra Baltica: Kaliningrad State Technical University Publisher, pp. 66-76 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Grunicheva, T.P., Moiseenko, O.P., Antonova, N.S. 2005. Assessment of water supply of inhabitants of Kaliningrad Oblast, and its influence of population health. [In] Sustainable management and protection of water resources, priorities of municipal water supply in the Kaliningrad Oblast. Kaliningrad, Kaliningrad State Technical University Publisher, pp. 25-34 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Krenkovich, N.I., Zaitseva, I.S. 1999. Changes of specific water use in Russia during last decades. Journal of Russian Water Resources 26(1), 90-95 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Kwiatkowski, J., Rasmussen, E.K., Ezhova, E., Chubarenko, B.V. 1997. The eutrophication model of the Vistula Lagoon. Oceanological Studies 26(1), 5-33.Google Scholar
- MANTRA. 2004. EU Project “Integrated Strategies for the Management of Transboundary Waters on the European Fringe (MANTRA-East)”. http://mantraeast.webmedia.ee/about.php.
- Rasmussen, E.K. 1997. Summary report on International project “Prioritizing Hot Spot Remediation in Vistula Lagoon Catchment: Environmental Assessment and planning for the Polish and Kaliningrad parts of the lagoon”. 2nd edition, May 1997. Denmark: Water Quality Institute/Denmark: Danish Hydraulic Institute/Poland: GEOMOR/Russia: P.P. Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Atlantic Branch, 204 p.Google Scholar
- Report on state and conservation of environment in the Kaliningrad Oblast in 2002. 2003. Kaliningrad: “Kaliningrad Printing Yard”, 174 p. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- State of the Environment in the Kaliningrad Oblast in 2000. 2001. Kaliningrad: “Spiral” Publisher, 159 p. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Velikanov, N.L., Proskurin E.D. 2003. Kaliningrad Oblast: characters of use of water resources. Kaliningrad: “Yantarnyi Skaz”, 128 p. (in Russian).Google Scholar