The Origins and Formation Mechanisms of Aerosol during a Measurement Campaign in Finnish Lapland, Evaluated Using the Regional Dispersion Model SILAM
This paper is intended to clarify the geographical extent of processes leading to a nucleation event and the role of atmospheric transport in it. The study is based on the inverse (adjoint) runs of atmospheric advection-diffusion model SILAM and general knowledge on basic mechanisms and time scales of nanometer particle formation in the atmosphere. Results of an aerosol measurement campaign carried out in Värriö, Finland, Eastern Lapland, April–May 2003, were used as sensitivity source data for backward tracing. The footprint areas of three observed nucleation events suggest that (1) spatial scale of a nucleation event may reach about 1,000 km, and (2) impact of atmospheric transport to the aerosol processes recorded by a Eulerian (ground-based) observer may be significant. Formation of an intense event over extensive forested areas supports the theory on the role of biogenic VOC emissions. Need for coupling the models of atmospheric transport and aerosol dynamics was stressed.
KeywordsAdjoint model atmospheric transport backward tracing nucleation burst
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kaasik M, Sofiev M, Prank M, Ruuskanen T, Kukkonen J, Kulmala M (2006) Model-delineated origin and growth of particles during the nucleation events observed in Värriö campaign in 2003. In: Proceedings of BACCI, NEC and FcoE activities in 2005 Report Series in Aerosol Science, 81, 221-226.Google Scholar
- Kaasik M, Prank M, Kukkonen J, Sofiev M (2007) A suggested correction to the EMEP database, regarding the location of a major industrial air pollution source in Kola Peninsula (in this volume).Google Scholar
- Kulmala M, Toivonen A, Mäkelä JM, Laaksonen A (1998) Analysis of the growth of nucleation mode observed in Boreal forest. Tellus B, 50B, 449-462, 1998.Google Scholar
- Kulmala M, Boy M, Suni T, Gaman A, Raivonen M, Aaltonen V, Adler H, Anttila T, Fiedler V, Grönholm T, Hellen H, Herrmann E, Jalonen R, Jussila M, Komppula M, Kosmale M, Plauškaite K, Reis R, Savola N, Soini P, Virtanen S, Aalto P, Dal Maso M, Hakola H, Keronen P, Vehkamäki H, Rannik Ü, Lehtinen K E J, Hari P (2004) Aerosols in boreal forest: wintertime relations between formation events and bio-geo-chemical activity. Boreal Environment Research, 9, 63-74.Google Scholar
- Ruuskanen TM, Kaasik M, Aalto PP, Hõrrak U, Vana M, Mårtensson EM, Yoon YJ, Keronen, P, Mordas G, Ceburnis D, Nilsson ED, O’Dowd C, Noppel M, Alliksaar T, Ivask J, Sofiev M, Prank M, Kulmala M (2007) Concentrations and fluxes of aerosol particles during the LAPBIAT measurement campaign in Värriö field station. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 7, 3683-3700.Google Scholar