Organochlorine Pollution of Mariculture Objects of the Crimea Coastal Area (Black Sea)
The main purpose of this work was to determine the concentrations of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and organochlorine pesticides (OCs) in the Black Sea mussels Mytilus galloprovincialis Lam, which are most promising cultivation object. Also mussels, filter feeder and sedentary organisms, were used in order to test water pollution of the Crimea coast (Ukrainian Region of the Black Sea). All samples contained different concentrations of PCBs and the dominant congeners of PCBs were from tetra to hexachlorobiphenyls among these, congeners 153 and 138 were the most representative. Among the OCs the highest concentrations were found for α-HCH and p,p’-DDE and p,p’-DDD that are metabolite of DDT. Results have also been interpreted in terms of geographical distribution and mussels’ biological cycle.
KeywordsPolychlorinated biphenyls organochlorine pesticides mussels Mytilus galloprovincialis the Black Sea
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carvalho, F.P., Fowler, S.W., Readman, J.W., Mee, L.D., 1994, Pesticide residues in tropical coastal lagoons use of 14C labelled compounds to study the cycling and fate of agrochemicals. Int. Symp. Applications of Isotopes and Radiation in Conservation of the Environment, 9-13 March 1992, Karlsruhe, Germany, Vienna, International Atomic Energy Agency, Austria, 637-653.Google Scholar
- Euro Chlor (European Chlor-Alkali Industry), 1998-1999, Chlorine Industry Review.Google Scholar
- Farrington, J.W., Davis, A.C., Tripp, B.W., Phelps, D.K., Galloway, W.B., 1987, ‘Mussel Watch’ - measurements of chemical pollutants in bivalves as one indicator of coastal environment quality. In: New approaches to monitoring aquatic ecosystems, T.P. Boyle (Ed). ASTM STP 940. American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 125-139.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mee, L.D., 1992, The Black Sea in crisis, a need for concerted international action, Ambio, 21: 278-286.Google Scholar
- Pirkova, A.B., 1994, The reproduction of mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis Lam. and an elements of its cultivation: Abstract of PhD thesis. Sevastopol: IBSS. 25 p. (Russian).Google Scholar
- Polikarpov, G.G., Zherko, N.V., 1996, Ecological aspects studying of organochlorine pollution of Black sea, Ecol. Sea, 45: 93-101 (Russian).Google Scholar
- UNEP, 1996, State of the marine and coastal environment in the Mediterranean Region. Mediterranean Action Plan Technical Report Series 100, UNEP. Athens, 138 pp.Google Scholar
- UNEP/IAEA/FAO, 1992, Organohalogen compounds in marine environment. A review, Mediterranean Action Plan Technical Report Series 70, UNEP. Athens, 49 pp.Google Scholar
- Walker, C.H., Hopkin, S.P., Sibly, R.M., Peakall, D.B., 1996, Principles of ecotoxicology, Taylor & Francis, London.Google Scholar
- World-wide and regional intercomparison for the determination of organochlorine compounds and petroleum hydrocarbons in mussel tissue, IAEA-432, 2004, Vienna, Austria, 118 pp.Google Scholar
- World-wide and regional intercomparison for the determination of organochlorine compounds and petroleum hydrocarbons in tuna gomogenate sample IAEA-435, 2006, Vienna. Austria, 126 pp.Google Scholar