Asynchronous On-Line Monitoring of Logical and Temporal Assertions
PSL is a standard formal language to specify logical and temporal properties under the form of assertions. This paper presents the synthesis of PSL assertions into asynchronous hardware monitors that can be linked to the circuit under monitoring. The checker synthesis is based on a systematic interconnection of asynchronous primitive monitors corresponding to PSL operators. The asynchronous monitors are implemented with quasi delay insensitive logic which gives reliable and robust monitors in the case of truly asynchronous events, temperature or voltage variations. These monitors are applicable to a wider range of verification tasks such as the communications among globally asynchronous modules or in safe or secure applications.
KeywordsPSL SVA hardware monitors asynchronous circuits
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.D. Borrione, M. Liu, P. Ostier, and L. Fesquet. PSL-based online monitoring of digital systems. In Advances in Design and Specification Languages for SoCs–Selected Contributions from FDL’05. Springer, London, 2006.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Boulé, J.-S. Chenard, and Z. Zilic. Adding debug enhancements to assertion checkers for hardware emulation and silicon debug. In 24th IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD’06), 2006.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Boulé and Z. Zilic. Efficient automata-based assertion-checker synthesis of psl properties. In Proceedings of IEEE International High Level Design Validation and Test Workshop (HLDVT’06), Nov. 2006.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Dahan, D. Geist, L. Gluhovsky, D. Pidan, G. Shapir, Y. Wolfsthal, L. Benalycherif, R. Kamdem, and Y. Lahbib. Combining system level modeling with assertion based verification. In ISQED. IEEE Computer Society, 2005.Google Scholar
- 12.H. Foster, A. Krolnik, and D. Lacey. Assertion-Based Design. Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, June 2003.Google Scholar
- 13.IEEE Computer Society. IEEE Standard for Property Specification Language Reference Manual, (PSL), Oct. 2005.Google Scholar
- 14.IEEE Computer Society. SystemVerilog IEEE Std 1800–2005, 2005.Google Scholar
- 15.K. Morin-Allory and D. Borrione. On-line monitoring of properties built on regular expressions sequences. In Forum on specification & Design Languages (FDL’06), Sept. 2006.Google Scholar
- 16.K. Morin-Allory, L. Fesquet, and D. Borrione. Asynchronous assertion monitors for multi-clock domain system verification. In IEEE International Workshop on Rapid System Prototyping, pages 98–102. IEEE Computer Society, Chania, Crete, 2006.Google Scholar
- 17.A. Pnueli and A. Zaks. PSL model checking and run-time verification via testers. In J. Misra, T. Nipkow, and Emil Sekerinski, editors, FM 2006: Formal Methods, 14th International Symposium on Formal Methods, Proceedings, volume 4085 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 573–586. Springer, Hamilton, Canada, August 21–27, 2006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.J. Sparsø and S. Furber, editors. Principles of Asynchronous Circuit Design: A Systems Perspective. Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2001.Google Scholar