The Mechanical Properties of Water-Based Emulsion Polymers: Effect of Reaction Conditions
Emulsion homopolymers and copolymers (latexes) are widely used in architectural interior and exterior paints, adhesives, and textile industries. Colloidal stabilizators in the emulsion polymerization strongly affect not only the colloidal properties of latexes but also the film and mechanical properties, in general. Additionally, the properties of polymer/copolymer latexes depend on the copolymer composition, polymer morphology, initiator, polymerization medium and colloidal characteristics of copolymer particles.
Copolymerization of vinyl acetate with acrylic monomers can lead to the production of latex having a wide range of mechanical and molecular properties depending on the molecular structure of the emulsifier, and also above parameters.
In this study, mechanical properties of emulsion copolymers of vinyl acetate and butyl acrylate, which consisted of a nonionic emulsifier (30 mol ethoxylated nonyl-phenol), an oligomeric stabilizator, and ammonium persulfate or potassium persulfate as initiators by changing monomer ratios from 90:10 to 10:90 for VAc:BuA, were determined by differential scanning calorimeter.
KeywordsCopolymers differential scanning calorimeter emulsion homopoly-mers latexes oligomeric stabilizator polymerization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Lovell, P.A. El-Aasser, M.S., 1997, Emulsion Polymerization and Emulsion Polymers, Wiley, Chichester, UKGoogle Scholar
- 3.El-Aasser, M.S. Vanderhoff, J.W., 1981, Emulsion Polymerization of Vinyl Acetate, Applied Science Publishers, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 4.Erbil, H.Y., 2000, Vinyl Acetate Emulsion Polymerization and Copolymerization with Acrylic Monomers, CRC, Boca-Raton, FLGoogle Scholar
- 5.Geddes, K., 1983, The Loop Process, Chem. Ind., 21, 223–228Google Scholar
- 8.Brandrup, J. and Immergut, E.H., 1989, Polymer Handbook, Wiley-Interscience/Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 9.Donescu, D., Ciupitoiu, A., Gosa, K. Languri, I., 1993, Water Polymer Interaction During Emulsion Polymerization of Vinyl Acetate, Revue Roumaine de Chimie, 38(12), 1441–1448Google Scholar
- 10.Bonardi, C., Christou, Ph., Llauro-Darricades, M.F., Guillot, J., Guyot, A. and Pichot, C., 1989, Polymer Latex III International Conference, Characterization of Acrylic Latexes Functionalized by N-Methylol Acrylamide, 6/1-6/14, Plastics and Rubber Institute, LondonGoogle Scholar