On application of classical Eshelby approach to calculating effective elastic moduli of dispersed composites
The problem of finding effective elastic moduli of media with spheroid inclusions in case of small concentration of these inclusions is addressed. A number of particular solutions, both known and new, were obtained as limit transitions and asymptotical expansion of the general solution, based on Eshelby’s approach. A special attention was paid to determining the ranges of applicability of the obtained asymptotical solutions. It was shown that for spheroid inclusions the areas of applicability of the asymptotic solutions are determined by two parameters: the ratio of elastic moduli of the inclusion and the matrix and aspect ratio of the inclusions.
KeywordsEffective properties Eshelby’s tensor Inclusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eshelby JD (1961). Elastic inclusions and inhomogeneities. In: Sneddon, IN and Hill, R (eds) Progress in Solid Mechanics, vol 2, pp 89–140. North-Holland, Amsterdam Google Scholar
- Kovalenko YF and Salganik RL (1977). Treshinovatye neodnorodnosti i ih vlianie na effektivnye mehanicheskie harakteristiki (Crack-like Inhomogeneities and their Influence on Effective Mechanical Characteristics). Izv AN SSSR Mech Tv Tela No 5: 76–86 Google Scholar
- Krivoglas MA and Cherevko AS (1959). Ob uprugih modulah tverdoi smesi (On elastic moduli of solid mixture). Fizika metallov i metalovedenie 8(2): 161–164 Google Scholar
- Mura T (1982). Micromechanics of defects in solids. Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, The Hague-Boston Google Scholar
- Odegard GM, Gates TS, Wise KE, Park C, Siochi EJ (2002) Constitutive modeling of nanotube-reinforced polymer composites. NASA/CR-2002-211760 ICASE Report No/2002-27Google Scholar
- Salganik RL (1973). Mehanika tel s bolshim chislom treshin (Mechanics of Bodies with Many Cracks). Izv AN SSSR Mech Tv Tela No 4: 149–158 Google Scholar
- Salganik RL (1974). Protsessy perenosa v telah s bolshim chislom treshin (Transition Processes in Bodies with Many Cracks). Inzhenerno-fizicheskii zhurnal Tom 27(6): 1069–1075 Google Scholar
- Ustinov KB (2003a). Ob opredelenii effektivnyh uprugih harakteristik dvuhfaznyh sred. Sluchai izolirovannyh neodnorodnostei v forme ellipsoidov vrashenia (On determining the effective characteristics of elastic two phases media. The case of spheroid inclusions). Uspehi Mehaniki 2: 126–168 Google Scholar
- Ustinov KB (2003b) Ob opredelenii effektivnyh uprugih harakteristik dvuhfaznyh sred. Sluchai izolirovannyh uploshennyh neodnorodnostei i oblasti primenimosti asimptotik. (On determining effective elastic characteristics of two phases media Flat inclusions and ranges of applicability of asymptotics). Preprint IPM RAS N735, 24 ppGoogle Scholar