Habitat use of booted eagles (Hieraaetus pennatus) in a Special Protection Area: implications for conservation
We examined the patterns of habitat use of six radio-tagged booted eagles (Hieraaetus pennatus) in a Special Protection Area (SPA) in southeastern Spain. Variable percentages of radio locations (20.8–72.0 %) and home range areas (45.2–81.3 %) lay outside the SPA limits. A model selection procedure showed that habitat use was mainly influenced by habitat type and the distance to the nest. Edges and open lands were the most selected habitat types at long distances, while the probability of forest use strongly decreased with the distance. We conclude that effective conservation strategies for this species should encourage not only the protection of the forest nesting habitats, but also the traditional agricultural practices of the surrounding agroecosystems.
KeywordsBirds Directive Habitat selection Hieraaetus pennatus Home range SPA Traditional agroecosystems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blondel J, Aronson J (1999) Biology and wildlife of the mediterranean region. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Bloom PH, Henckel JL, Henckel EH, Schmutz JK, Woodbridge B, Bryan JR, Andersson RL, Detrich PJ, Maechtle TL, McKinley JO, McCrary MD, Titus K, Schempf PF (1992) The DHO-GAZA with Great Horned Owl lure: an analysis of its effectiveness in capturing raptors. J␣Raptor Res 26:167–178Google Scholar
- Burnham KP, Anderson DR (2002) Model selection and multimodel inference. A practical information-theoretic approach, 2nd edn. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- del Hoyo J, Elliot A, Sargatal J (1994) Handbook of the birds of the world. Volume 2. New world vultures to guineafowl. Lynx Edicions, BarcelonaGoogle Scholar
- Hubbert C, Gallo A, le Pape G (1995) Modification of parental behavior during the nesting period in the common buzzard (Buteo buteo). J Raptor Res 29:103–109Google Scholar
- Kenward RE (2001) A manual for wildlife radio tagging. Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Martínez JE (2002) Ecología del Águila Calzada (Hieraaetus pennatus) en ambientes mediterrÁneos. Ph.D. thesis, Universidad de Murcia, SpainGoogle Scholar
- Martínez JE, Calvo JF (2005) Prey partitioning between mates in breeding Booted Eagles (Hieraaetus pennatus). J Raptor Res 39:159–163Google Scholar
- Martínez JE, Pagán I, Calvo JF (in press) Interannual variations of reproductive parameters in a booted eagle (Hieraaetus pennatus) population: the influence of density and laying date. J OrnitholGoogle Scholar
- Newton I (1979) Population ecology of raptors. T. & A.D. Poyser, Berkhamstead, UKGoogle Scholar
- R Development Core Team (2005) R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing. Vienna. URL http://www.R-project.org