Current Measurements in European Coastal Waters and Rivers by Along-Track InSAR
The Along-Track Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (Along-Track InSAR, ATI) technique permits a direct high-resolution imaging of ocean surface current fields from aircraft and satellites. With several airborne ATI experiments and a first demonstration of current measurements from space with data from the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) in February 2000, European scientists have built up a leading expertise in this field. The German satellite TerraSAR-X, which was launched on June 15, 2007, will be the first to offer ATI capabilities during a longer period. We give an overview of ATI fundamentals, SRTM results, predicted ATI capabilities of TerraSAR-X, the potential for further improvements, and promising applications in coastal waters and rivers.
KeywordsMicrowave Radar Azimuth Remote Sensing Nism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alsdorf D, Lettenmaier D, Vörösmarty C, NASA Surface Water Working Group (2003) The need for global, satellite-based observations of terrestrial surface waters. EOS Trans AGU, 84 (269): 275-276Google Scholar
- Berry PAM (2002) A new technique for global river and lake height monitoring using satellite altimeter data. Int J Hydropower Dams 9 (6): 52-54Google Scholar
- European Commission (2005) SEAFLOW pilot project for the exploitation of marine currents. Final report JOR3-CT98-0202, European Commission, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- Moreira A, Krieger G, Hajnsek I, Hounam D, Werner M, Riegger S, Settelmeyer E (2004) TanDEM-X: A TerraSAR-X add-on satellite for single-pass SAR interferometry. In: Proc IGARSS 2004, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 4 ppGoogle Scholar
- Romeiser R, Seibt-Winckler A, Heineke M, Eppel D (2002) Validation of current and bathymetry measurements in the German Bight by airborne along-track interferometric SAR. In Proc IGARSS 2002, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 3 ppGoogle Scholar
- Romeiser R, Sprenger J, Stammer D, Runge H, Suchandt S (2005a) Global current measurements in rivers by spaceborne along-track InSAR. In Proc IGARSS 2005, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 4 ppGoogle Scholar
- Thompson DR, Jensen JR (1993) Synthetic aperture radar interferometry applied to ship-generated waves in the 1989 Loch Linnhe experiment. J Geophys Res 98: 10,259-10,269Google Scholar