Current Measurements in European Coastal Waters and Rivers by Along-Track InSAR
The Along-Track Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (Along-Track InSAR, ATI) technique permits a direct high-resolution imaging of ocean surface current fields from aircraft and satellites. With several airborne ATI experiments and a first demonstration of current measurements from space with data from the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) in February 2000, European scientists have built up a leading expertise in this field. The German satellite TerraSAR-X, which was launched on June 15, 2007, will be the first to offer ATI capabilities during a longer period. We give an overview of ATI fundamentals, SRTM results, predicted ATI capabilities of TerraSAR-X, the potential for further improvements, and promising applications in coastal waters and rivers.
KeywordsPhase Noise Current Measurement Shuttle Radar Topography Mission Current Field Imaging Mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alsdorf D, Lettenmaier D, Vörösmarty C, NASA Surface Water Working Group (2003) The need for global, satellite-based observations of terrestrial surface waters. EOS Trans AGU, 84 (269): 275-276Google Scholar
- Berry PAM (2002) A new technique for global river and lake height monitoring using satellite altimeter data. Int J Hydropower Dams 9 (6): 52-54Google Scholar
- European Commission (2005) SEAFLOW pilot project for the exploitation of marine currents. Final report JOR3-CT98-0202, European Commission, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- Moreira A, Krieger G, Hajnsek I, Hounam D, Werner M, Riegger S, Settelmeyer E (2004) TanDEM-X: A TerraSAR-X add-on satellite for single-pass SAR interferometry. In: Proc IGARSS 2004, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 4 ppGoogle Scholar
- Romeiser R, Seibt-Winckler A, Heineke M, Eppel D (2002) Validation of current and bathymetry measurements in the German Bight by airborne along-track interferometric SAR. In Proc IGARSS 2002, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 3 ppGoogle Scholar
- Romeiser R, Sprenger J, Stammer D, Runge H, Suchandt S (2005a) Global current measurements in rivers by spaceborne along-track InSAR. In Proc IGARSS 2005, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 4 ppGoogle Scholar
- Thompson DR, Jensen JR (1993) Synthetic aperture radar interferometry applied to ship-generated waves in the 1989 Loch Linnhe experiment. J Geophys Res 98: 10,259-10,269Google Scholar