Remote Sensing of Coastal Upwelling in the North-Eastern Atlantic Ocean
The Sea Surface Temperature (SST) distribution of the subtropical North Atlantic shows low SSTs off Iberia and NW Africa due not only to cold water advection by the southward branch of the subtropical gyre but also to the upwelled cold subsurface waters associated to the wind-induced coastal divergence. The upwelling off the western coast of Iberia has a seasonal character associated with the northerly winds during summer whereas, further south (20–25°N), the upwelling off NW Africa is a permanent phenomenon driven by the trade winds. Since low SST and high productivity of the upper ocean characterize upwelling, remote sensing is a widely used tool for its study. The present paper reviews the main aspects, based in satellite observations, related to the physical and biological characteristics of the upwelling off Iberia and to their seasonal and interannual changes.
KeywordsOcean Colour Coastal Upwelling Ekman Transport Horse Mackerel Strong Upwelling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borges MF, Santos AMP, Crato N, Mendes H, Mota B (2003) Sardine regime shifts off Portugal: a time series analysis of catches and wind conditions. Scientia Marina, 67(Suppl. 1):235-244Google Scholar
- Fiúza AFG (1982) The Portuguese coastal upwelling system. In: Actual problems of Oceanography in Portugal. Junta Nacional de Investigação Científica e Tecnológica, Lisbon, Portugal, pp 45-71Google Scholar
- Fiúza AFG (1983) Upwelling patterns off Portugal. In: Suess E, Thiede J (eds) Coastal Upwelling: its sediment record. Plenum Press, pp 85-98Google Scholar
- Fiúza AFG (1984) Hidrologia e dinâmica das águas costeiras de Portugal (Hydrology and dynamics of the Portuguese coastal waters). PhD thesis, University of Lisbon, PortugalGoogle Scholar
- Fiúza AFG (1990) Applications of satellite remote sensing to fisheries. In: Rodrigues AG (ed) Operations research and management in fishing. Kluwer, pp 257-279Google Scholar
- Fiúza AFG, Macedo ME, Guerreiro R (1982) Climatological space and time variations of the Portuguese coastal upwelling. Oceanol. Acta 5:31-40Google Scholar
- King GP, Yang J, Dias J, Serra N (2006) EOF analysis of seasonal and interannual variability of the surface circulation along the west Iberian coast from 1995-2005. Geophys Res Abs 8:1607-7962/gra/EGU06-A-03127Google Scholar
- Robinson IS (2004) Measuring the oceans from space. The principles and methods of satellite oceanography. Springer-Praxis, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- Santos AMP, Fiúza AFG (1992) Supporting the Portuguese fisheries with satellites. In: Proceedings of the European International Space Year Conference, Munich, Germany, ISY-1, vol 2 (Paris: ESA), pp 663-668Google Scholar
- Wooster WS, Bakun A, McLain DR (1976) The seasonal upwelling cycle along the eastern boundary of the North Atlantic. J Marine Res 34(2):131-141Google Scholar