Despite the limitations of Planet Earth‘s conventional energy resources, the demand for energy is continuously rising as a result of increasing population and industrialization. The utilization of fossil energy resources, which led to great technological and social developments in the past, now is causing increasingly disastrous effects on the global environment. In this situation there is urgent need to deploy sustainable and environmentally clean energy sources. An important contribution could be made by rapidly expanding the use of renewable energy sources such as geothermal energy. A number of countries stand out as having made utilization of geothermal resources a national priority. This paper will illustrate the major aspects of geothermal energy, its generation, the relevant power plant technologies for electricity generation, the utilization of geothermal heat for direct uses, with focus on some showcases of best practice. The impact of geothermal energy in China is the topic of the second half of the present document.
KeywordsProduction Well Geothermal System Geothermal Field Geothermal Energy Geothermal Water
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Huttrer G.W., 1995. The status of world geothermal power production 1990-1994. Proc. WGC 1995.Google Scholar
- Jiurong L. and Jianping C., 2005. The Geothermal Resources and Development Plan in the Olympic Green, Beijing, China. Proc. WGC2005.Google Scholar
- Lund J.W., 2004. 100 years of geothermal power production. Geo-Heat Center Bulletin 25 n. 3, Oregon, USA, pp. 11-19.Google Scholar
- Shibin L. and Zhu H., 2005. The Status and Trend Analysis of Geothermal Development and Utilization in China. Proc. WGC2005.Google Scholar
- Tian T. and Huang S., 2005. Sustainable Development of Geothermal Resource in China and Future Projects, Proc. WGC2005.Google Scholar
- Yi Z., Yong J. and Miyazaki, S., 2005. The Present Status of Utilization of Geothermal Energy and Resources Research by the Aid of Japanese Government in Yangbajing Geothermal Field, Tibet, China, Proc. WGC2005.Google Scholar
- Zheng K., 2005. 50 Years of Geothermal Development in Beijing, China, Proc. WGC2005.Google Scholar