Interspecific Competition in a Pecan-cotton Alley-cropping System in the Southern United States: Is Light the Limiting Factor?
The manner in which light is intercepted by crop canopies and converted to structural dry matter can significantly affect primary production at a given site. A number of authors have investigated plant performance under different environmental conditions, including different levels of light, in alley cropping and similar agroforestry systems (Azam-ali et al. 1990; Monteith et al. 1991; Rosenthal and Gerik, 1991; Heitholt et al. 1992; Chirko et al. 1996; Gillespie et al. 2000; Jose et al. 2000). These studies have revealed strong linear relationships between photosynthetically active radiation (PAR, 400–700 nm) and dry matter production.
KeywordsPhotosynthetically Active Radiation Aboveground Biomass Leaf Area Index Agroforestry System Interspecific Competition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen S.C. (2003) Nitrogen dynamics in a pecan (Carya illinoensis K. Koch)-cotton (Gossyium hirsutum L.) alley cropping system in the Southern United States. PhD dissertation. University of Florida, Florida.Google Scholar
- Bange M.P. and Milroy S.P. (1998) Growth analysis of short and long season cotton cultivars. Proceedings of the 9th Australian Agronomy Conference, Wagga wagga, Australia.Google Scholar
- Gordon A.M., Newman S.M., and Williams P.A. (1997) Temperate agroforestry system: an overview. In: Huxley P. and Ong C.K. (eds) Temperate Agroforestry System, CAB International, Wallingford, UK, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- Jose S., Merritt S., and Ramsey C.L. (2002) Growth, nutrition, photosynthesis and transpiration responses of longleaf pine seedlings to light, water and nitrogen. For. Ecol. Manage. 2003:335–344.Google Scholar
- Kozlowski T.T. and Pallardy S.G. (1997) Physiology of Woody Plants, 2nd edn. Academic Press, San Diego, p. 411.Google Scholar
- Lambers H., Chapin III F.S., and Pons T.L. (1998) Plant Physiological Ecology. Springer, New York City, p. 540.Google Scholar
- Muchow R.C. and Sinclair T.R. (1993) Nitrogen response of leaf photosynthesis and canopy radiation use efficiency in field-grown maize and sorghum. Crop Sci. 34:721–727.Google Scholar
- Nair P.K.R. 1993. An introduction to Agroforestry. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, p. 499.Google Scholar
- Nissen T.M., Midmore D.J., and Cabrera M.L. (1999) Aboveground and belowground competition between intercropped cabbage and young. Eucalyptus torelliana. Agroforest. Sys. 46:83–93.Google Scholar
- Rosenthal W.D. and Gerik T.J. (1991) Radiation use efficiency among cotton cultivars. Agron. J. 83:655–658.Google Scholar