Integrated Water Mangement in the Seven Cities Basin
The Sete Cidades lake in the Azores, is located in a volcanic crater. Increased frequency of logging (380 hectares of production forests) and the use of fertilizers on pastures and forages (450 hectares) that sustain 750 cows, provide direct employment to 67 farmers and induce employment to more 50 actives, but also increases the eutrophycation and sedimentation of the lake. To address the issue an integrated model generates efficient land use scenarios for different degrees of phosphorus emissions with related effects in the water quality. The model is used to obtain various indicators for each scenario that feed a multi-objective program able to find the dominant solutions. The final solution is chosen by the politicians: 600 cows that produce 3.0 millions of milk, provide direct employment to 55 farmers and induce employment to more 41 actives. This, jointly with a partial stream deviation, allows a reduction of 63% of the phosphorus load to the lake. Compensatory measures pay the farmers their losses and compensate the community for the lost employment.
Keywords: integrated water management; decision support system; Azores
KeywordsPhosphorus Chlorophyll Phytoplankton Income Sedimentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bana e Costa C.A., De Corte J.-M., Vansnick J.-C, 2002, Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis: The State of the Art Surveys, Figueira, S. Greco, M. Ehrgott (eds.), J Springer, Book Series: International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, 76: 409-442. (Preprint: Working Paper LSEOR 03.61 2003, London School of Economics).Google Scholar
- Costa, J.S., Delgado, A.P., & Godinho, I.M., 2002, A Teoria da Base Económica. Cap. 23 do Compêndio de Economia Regional. Associação Portuguesa de Desenvolvimento Regional.Google Scholar
- Dentinho, T., Etienne Lamy and Gorm Dige, 2000, Managing environmental trade-offs between recreational uses and agriculture: the case of the Seven Cities Lake in São Miguel Island. In Perspectivas de Desenvolvimento para as Regiões Marítimas, Actas do VII Encontro da APDR, APDR. 787-800.Google Scholar
- Fontes, J.C. 2002, Comportamento hidrologico dos solos agricolas da Terceira: avaliacao e simulacao com o modelo OPUS. Tese de doutoramento da Universidade dos Açores. (2000). Reis, J.C., 2002, Função de Produção Territorial de Leite com Base em Redes Neuronais. Tese de Mestrado em Gestão e Conservação da Natureza. Universidade dos Açores.Google Scholar
- Silva, E., 2001, Análisis Multicriterio de la Eficiencia económica de las Explotaciones Agroganaderas de las Azores, Tesis doctoral, Universidad de Córdoba.Google Scholar