RTOS Modeling for System Level Design
System level synthesis is widely seen as the solution for closing the productivity gap in system design. High-level system models are used in system level design for early design exploration. While real-time operating systems (RTOS) are an increasingly important component in system design, specific RTOS implementations can not be used directly in high-level models. On the other hand, existing system level design languages (SLDL) lack support for RTOS modeling. In this paper we propose a RTOS model built on top of existing SLDLs which, by providing the key features typically available in any RTOS, allows the designer to model the dynamic behavior of multitasking systems at higher abstraction levels to be incorporated into existing design flows. Experimental result shows that our RTOS model is easy to use and efficient while being able to provide accurate results.
KeywordsArchitecture Model Design Flow Dynamic Schedule Design Space Exploration High Abstraction Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- QNX[online]. Available: http://www.qnx.com/.
- SpecC[online]. Available: http://www.specc.org/.
- SystemC[online]. Available: http://www.systemc.org/.
- VxWorks[online]. Available: http://www.vxworks.com/.
- G. C. Buttazzo. Hard Real-Time Computing Systems. Kluwer Academic, 1999.Google Scholar
- J. Cortadella. Task generation and compile time scheduling for mixed data-control embedded software. In DAC, Jun 2000.Google Scholar
- D. Desmet et al. Operating system based software generation for system-on-chip. In DAC, Jun 2000.Google Scholar
- L. Gauthier et al. Automatic generation and targeting of application-specific operating systems and embedded systems software. IEEE Trans. on CAD, Nov 2001.Google Scholar
- A. Gerstlauer et al. Design of a GSM Vocoder using SpecC Methodology. Technical Report ICS-TR-99–11, UCI, Feb 1999.Google Scholar
- H. Tomiyama et al. Modeling fixed-priority preemptive multi-task systems in SpecC. In SASIMI, Oct 2001.Google Scholar
- H. Yu et al. RTOS Modeling in System Level Synthesis. Technical Report CECS-TR-02–25, UCI, Aug 2002.Google Scholar