Multi-Scale Modelling of VoIP Traffic by MMPP
The concept of multiplexing voice traffic sent over IP protocol (VoIP) on a common channel for efficient utilisation of the transmission link capacity is a great concern to network engineers. A VoIP gateway allocates a channel capacity that lies between the average and peak rates of traffic intensity and buffers the traffic during periods when demand exceeds channel capacity. In order to evaluate performance of the gateway a traffic model is needed. In this work we propose Markov Modulated Poisson Process (MMPP) for modelling of multiplexed VoIP traffic, generated by a number of independent sources, which flows into a VoIP gateway. We apply this model to analytical analysis of the gateway performance using fluid flow modelling techniques. We give a cumulative distribution function of the number of packets in the gateway buffer and evaluate it against the simulation.
KeywordsMarkov Chain Voice Packet Markov Modulate Poisson Process Public Switch Telephone Network Statistical Multiplexer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. D. Dang, B. Sonkoly, and S. Molnár, “Fractal Analysis and Modelling of VoIP Traffic,” presented at NETWORKS 2004, Vienna, Austria, 2004.Google Scholar
- A. Biernacki, “Analysis of VoIP Traffic Produced by Coders with VAD,” presented at 4th Polish-German Teletraffic Symposium, Wroclaw, Poland, 2006.Google Scholar
- T. Czachórski, Modele kolejkowe w ocenie efektywności pracy sieci i systemów komputerowych (in Polish only). Gliwice: Wydawnictwo Politechniki Ślaskiej, 1999.Google Scholar
- Y. C. Jenq, “Approximations For Packetized Voice Traffic in Statistical Multiplexer,” presented at IEEE INFOCOM, 1984.Google Scholar
- T. E. Stern, “A Queueing Analysis of Packet Voice,” presented at IEEE Global Telecomm. Conf., San Diego, USA, 1983.Google Scholar
- D. Anick, D. Mitra, and M. M. Sondhi, “Stochastic theory of a datahandling system with multiple sources,” Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 61, pp. 1871-1894, 1982.Google Scholar
- S. Zheng, “Capacity Study of Statistical Multiplexing for IP Telephony,” Department of Mathematics, Linkoping University, Sweden. LiTH-MAT-EX-98-12 1998.Google Scholar
- Vox-Gratia, “OpenH323,” 2005.Google Scholar
- E. S. Inc., “Ethereal, A Network Protocol Analyzer,” 2005.Google Scholar
- A. D. Nogueira, P. S. Ferreira, R. Valadas, and A. Pacheco, “Modeling Self-Similar Traffic through Markov Modulated Poisson Processes over Multiple Time Scales,” presented at IEEE International Conf. on High-Speed Networks and Multimedia Communications - HSNMC, Estoril , Portugal, 2003.Google Scholar
- W. Scheinhardt, “Markov-modulated and feedback fluid queues,” vol. Ph.D. thesis: University of Twente, the Netherlands, 1998.Google Scholar