Researching the Processes Leading to the Failure of Composite Sandwich Structures
To study the development and distribution of strain in composite sandwich panels when subjected to four-point flexure and the failure processes as they occur.
To relate the onset of failure processes in producing delamination and other types of failure.
To develop the use of DIC and other methods to assist in evaluating the integrity of different types of composite sandwich structure and also for in-service monitoring of these panels.
KeywordsWind Turbine Digital Image Correlation Failure Process Sandwich Panel Foam Core
- 1.ASTM Standard Test Method for flexural properties of sandwich constructions. C393, 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.http://www.gom.com Deformation measurement system developed by GOM mbH in Germany.
- 3.Fergusson, A. Resin infusion of composite sandwich structures for skis and snowboards. MSc Dissertation, Imperial College London, 2005.Google Scholar
- 4.Puri, A. Digital image correlation applied to wind turbine structures. MEng Final Year Project, Imperial College London, 2006.Google Scholar
- 5.Robinson, R. Flexural behaviour of composite sandwich panels. MSc Dissertation, Imperial College London, 2006.Google Scholar