A Historical Perspective on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
This ‘pictorial’ Chapter presents a historical perspective on unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) starting from Ancient Greece to the beginning of the 21st Century. The UAV history, from a very early dream to today’s reality is illustrated through a series of figures with detailed legends that are arranged mostly chronologically; they reveal the unmanned vehicle evolution and designs over a period of almost 2,500 years. The Chapter, even though it is non-technical, offers an accurate glimpse of history and helps the reader understand the tremendous level of growth in the unmanned systems area. Almost all figures have been taken from archives and web sites available on-line. The list is by no means complete, but it is very informative. The Chapter layout and contents are similar to Chapter 1 of reference .
KeywordsFatigue Steam Titan Radar Turkey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Helicopter History Site, History of Helicopters, June 2004; Available at http://www.hiller.org.
- 2.Hiller Aviation Museum; Available at http://www.hiller.org/.
- 3.National Museum of the United States Air Force; Available at http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/.
- 4.Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation; Available at http://www.sikorsky.com/sac/Home/0,9746,CLI 1_DIV69_ETI541,00.html.
- 5.Defense Update. International Online Defense Magazine; Available at http://www.defense-update.com/.
- 6.Aerosonde Robotic Aircraft, March 2007; Available at http://www.Areosonde.com/index.php.
- 7.Stone H., Configuration design of a canard configured tail-sitter unmanned vehicle using multidisciplinary optimization, PhD Thesis, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia, 1999.Google Scholar
- 8.Dragonfly Innovations, March 2007; Available at http://www.rctoys.com/.
- 9.Guedj D., Le Theoreme du Perroquet, Editions du Seuil, 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.Castillo P., Lozano R., Dzul A. E., Modeling and Control of Mini-Flying Machines, Springer, 2005.Google Scholar
- 11.OSD UAV Roadmap 2002–2027, Office of the Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology, & Logistics), Air Warfare, December 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.Unmanned Aircraft Systems Roadmap 2005–2030, Office of the Secretary of Defense, August 2005.Google Scholar
- 13.Rosheim, M. E., Leonardo’s Lost Robots, Springer 2006.Google Scholar