Monitoring the atmospheric deposition of particulate-associated urban contaminants, Coventry, UK
Based on the determination of Zn, Cu, Pb, Ni, and Cd in soils, street dusts, and sediments from the urban area of Coventry, UK, two sets of bioaccumulators were located around Coventry City Centre. The first set of 12 peat-containing seed trays were located on a busy road traffic island with a second set placed for comparison with a rural area. One tray was removed each month from each site for analysis. Whilst the concentrations of most metals were higher in the urban area, the temporal trends were similar, with the concentrations of Pb indicating that urban levels had declined. The second set of biomonitors of three moss bags were located at 16 sites in the City Centre; one bag was removed every 2 months, making a 6- month study in all. The temporal trends for the moss bags were generally increasing concentrations with time, although two sites declined in the last sampling month. Concentrations of Zn and Cu in the street dusts, sediments, and soils were high, as was Zn in both biomonitors and Ni in just the moss bags.
KeywordsBurning Nickel Dust Microwave Radionuclide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Harrop DO (2002) Air quality assessment and management - a practical guide. Spon Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 8.Goodman GT (1979) Airborne heavy metal pollution. In: Bromley RDF, Humphrys G (eds.) Dealing with dereliction: the redevelopment of the Swansea Valley. University College of Swansea, SwanseaGoogle Scholar
- 9.Macklin M (1992) Metal pollution of soils and sediments: a geological perspective. In: Newson MD (ed.) Managing the human impact on the natural environment: patterns and processes. Belhaven Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 10.Defra (Department of Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs) and EA (Environment Agency) (2002) Assessment of risks to human health from land contamination: an overview of the development of guideline values and related research. Report CLR7Google Scholar
- 11.ICRCL (Inter-Departmental Committee on the redevelopment of Contaminated Land) (1983) Guidance on the assessment and redevelopment of contami-nated land. ICRCL Paper 59/83, Department of the Environment, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 12.QUARG (Quality of Urban Air Group) (1996) Airborne particulate matter in the United Kingdom. Third report of the Quality of Urban Air Review Group. Department of the Environment, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 13.Baird C (1999) Environmental chemistry: heavy metals in soils, sewage and sediments. W.H. Freeman, New YorkGoogle Scholar