II.2 Cuprate and other unconventional superconductors
Remarkably rich physics is involved in the behavior of hybrid Josephson junctions, connecting high-Tc and low-Tc superconductors. This relates in particular to the different order parameter symmetries underlying the formation of the superconducting states in these materials. Experiments on high-Tc/low-Tc contacts have also played a crucial role in settling the decade-long d-wave versus s-wave debate in cuprate superconductors. Recently, such hybrid junctions have enabled more detailed pairing symmetry tests. Furthermore, with these junctions, complex arrays of π-rings have been realized, enabling studies on spontaneously generated fractional flux quanta and their mutual interactions. Steps toward novel superconducting electronic devices are taken, utilizing the phase-shifts inherent to the d-wave superconducting order parameter. This paper is intended to reflect the current status of experiments using high-Tc and low-Tc Josephson contacts.
KeywordsJosephson Junction Cuprate Superconductor Superconducting Order Parameter Pairing Symmetry Zigzag Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chesca, B., Ehrhardt, K., Mossle, M., Straub, R., Koelle, D., Kleiner, R., and Tsukada, A. (2003) Magnetic-field dependence of the maximum supercurrent of La2-xCexCuO4-y interferometers: Evidence for a predominant dx 2-y 2 superconducting order parameter, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 057004.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fauque, B., Sidis, Y, Hinkov, V., Pailhes, S., Lin, C., Chaud, X., and Bourges, P. (2005) Magnetic order in the pseudogap phase of high-Tc superconductors, Preprint at http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0509210.Google Scholar
- Kirtley, J. R., Tsuei, C. C., Ariando, A., Verwijs, C. J. M., Harkema, S., and Hilgenkamp, H. (2006) Angle-resolved phase-sensitive determination of the in-plane gap symmetry in YBa2Cu3O7-δ, Nature Physics. Google Scholar
- Qazilbash, M. M., Biswas, A., Dagan, Y., Ott, R. A., and Greene, R. L. (2003) Point-contact spectroscopy of the electron-doped cuprate superconductor Pr2xCexCuO4: The dependence of conductance-voltage spectra on cerium doping, barrier strength, and magnetic field, Phys. Rev. B 68, 024502.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Smilde, H. J. H., Golubov, A. A., Ariando, Rijnders, G., Dekkers, J. M., Harkema, S., Blank, D. H. A., Rogalla, H., and Hilgenkamp, H. (2005) Admixtures to d-wave gap symmetry in untwinned YBa2Cu3C7 superconducting films measured by angle-resolved electron tunneling, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 257001.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar