Effects of the method of identification of the diffusion coefficient on accuracy of modeling bound water transfer in wood
An alternative approach to determining the bound water diffusion coefficient is proposed. It comprises a method for solving the inverse diffusion problem, an improved algorithm for the bound-constrained optimization as well as an alternative submodel for the diffusion coefficient’s dependency on the bound water content. Identification of the diffusion coefficient for Scots pine wood (Pinus sylvestris L.) using the proposed inverse approach is presented. The accuracy of predicting the diffusion process with the use of the coefficient values determined by traditional sorption methods as well as by the inverse modeling approach is quantified. The similarity approach is used and the local and global relative errors are calculated. The results show that the inverse method provides valuable data on the bound water diffusion coefficient as well as on the boundary condition. The results of the identification can significantly improve the accuracy of mass transfer modeling as studied for drying processes in wood.
KeywordsInverse method Computer-aided identification Fick’s law Scots pine wood Sorption experiments Validation of identification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Choong, E. T., Skaar, C.: Separating internal and external resistance to moisture removal in wood drying. Wood Sci. 1, 200–202 (1969)Google Scholar
- Choong, E. T., Skaar, C.: Diffusivity and surface emissivity in wood drying. Wood Fiber 4, 80–86 (1972)Google Scholar
- Crank, J.: The Mathematics of Diffusion. Clarendon Press, Oxford (1975)Google Scholar
- Newman, A. B.: The drying of porous solids: diffusion and surface emission equations. Trans. AIChE 27, 203–220 (1931)Google Scholar
- Shmulsky, R., Kadir, K., Erickson, R.: Effect of air velocity on surface EMC in the drying of red oak lumber. For. Prod. J. 52, 78–80 (2002)Google Scholar
- Siau, J.F.: Wood: Influence of Moisture on Physical Properties. Virginia Tech, Blacksburg (1995)Google Scholar
- Skaar, C.: Wood-water Relations. Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1988)Google Scholar
- Stamm, A.J.: Bound water diffusion into wood in the fiber direction. For. Prod. J. 9, 27–32 (1959)Google Scholar
- Stamm, A. J.: Bound water diffusion into wood in the across the fiber direction. For. Prod. J. 10, 524–528 (1960)Google Scholar