THE GENESIS OF THE IAU WORKING GROUP ON ASTRONOMICAL DATA
The IAU Working Group on Numerical Data, which was set up by the International Astronomical Union in 1969, brought together astronomers who were separately involved in data activities within their own institutions or within the specialist commissions of the Union. The Group gathered information about the current activities in data compilation and distribution and discussed the ways by which new computer techniques could be used to carry out such activities economically and effectively. The value of the general techniques for documentation and information retrieval was recognised and so the Group was later attached to IAU Commission 5 on Documentation. It was renamed to emphasise its coverage of all types of astronomical data. The Group organised open meetings during the IAU General Assemblies as well as IAU Colloquia and other meetings.
KeywordsExpense Geophysics Aires Dick
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allen, C.W. 1955, Astrophysical Quantities, Univ. London, Athlone Press (2nd ed., 1963).Google Scholar
- 2.Blaauw, A. 1994, History of the IAU, Kluwer Acad. Publ., Dordecht. (ISBN 0-7923-2980-5)Google Scholar
- 3.Heck, A. (Ed.) 2005a, The Multinational History of Strasbourg Astronomical Observatory Springer, Dordrecht (ISBN 1-4020-3643-4)Google Scholar
- 4.Heck, A. 2005b, Vistas into the CDS Genesis, in Heck 2005a.Google Scholar
- 5.Jaschek, C. & Heintz, W. (Eds.) 1982, Automated Data Retrieval in Astronomy, D. Reidel Publ. Co, Dordrecht. (ISBN 90-277-1435-5)Google Scholar
- 6.Jaschek, C. & Wilkins, G.A. (Eds.) 1977, Compilation, Critical Evaluation and Distribution of Stellar Data, D. Reidel Publ. Co, Dordrecht. (ISBN 90-277-0792-8)Google Scholar
- 7.Sitterley, C.M. 1988, Reminiscences: Commission 14: The 4th General Assembly at Cambridge, 1932, IAU Today 5 (1988-08-05), 4. [Daily newspaper for IAU General Assembly at Baltimore.]Google Scholar
- 9.Wilkins, G.A. 1979, Guide for the Presentation in the Primary Literature of Numerical Data Derived from Observations in the Geosciences, CODATA Bull. 32.Google Scholar
- 10.Wilkins, G.A. 1982, Guide to the Presentation of Astronomical Data, CODATA Bull. 46.Google Scholar
- 12.Wilkins, G.A. 1990, The IAU Style Manual, Transactions of IAU 20B, Chap. 8. [A summary of the recommendations is reprinted in Bull. Inform. CDS 37, 193–196 (1989).]Google Scholar
- 14.Wilkins, G.A. & Stevens-Rayburn, S. (Eds.) 1989, Library and Information Services in Astronomy, US Naval Observatory, Washington DC.Google Scholar