Conservation Approaches, Applications, Case Studies
In 1996, the Cathedral of Noto (Sicily), suddenly collapsed partially, after being damaged by the 1990 earthquake, which hit the eastern part of Sicily. As the continuous propagation of cracks and damages in the pillars (made with external leaves in limestone and filled internally with rubble) due to the weak materials used and the poor construction adopted was considered as the main cause of the collapse, it was decided to rebuilt the collapsed and part of the damaged pillars adopting the traditional techniques and the same materials used in the past, with improvements of the pillars technique of construction. A difficult task was the choice of the stones for the reconstruction, first of all the choice of a suitable quarry and then the control of the stone properties at each delivery.
KeywordsCompressive Strength Stone Property Saturated Specimen Direct Tensile Strength Indirect Tensile Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.L. Binda, C. Tiraboschi., G. Mirabella Roberti, G. Baronio, G. Cardani, Measuring masonry material properties: detailed results from an extensive experimental research, Part I ‘Tests on masonry components’, Report 5.1, CD-ROM, April 1996, pp. 1–263 (Milano, 1996).Google Scholar
- 3.L. Binda, A. Saisi, C. Tiraboschi, S. Valle, C. Colla, M. Forde. Application of Sonic and Radar Tests on the Piers and Walls of the Cathedral of Noto, Int. Symposium. on: Cattedrale di Noto e Frauenkirche di Dresda: Indagini e Studi per il Progetto di Ricostruzione, 10–12/02/01, pp. 91–106, (Noto, 2002).Google Scholar
- 4.L. Binda, G. Baronio, C. Gavarini, R. De Benedictis, S. Tringali. Investigation on Materials and Structures for the Reconstruction of the Partially Collapsed Cathedral of Noto (Sicily), 6° Int. Conf. Structural Studies, Repairs and Maintenance of Historical Buildings, STREMAH 99, Germany, p.323–332 (Dresden, 1999).Google Scholar
- 5.L. Binda, Baronio G., Contratto di Consulenza: Studio sullo stato di conservazione dei materiali e delle strutture e sulla possibilityà di un loro recupero in base ai risultati delle prove e dei rilievi di laboratorio e in situ, Final Report, Contratto Prefettura di Siracusa, (Milano, 1998).Google Scholar
- 6.G. Baronio, L. Binda, G. Cardani, C. Tedeschi, The Difficult Choice of Traditional Materials for the Reconstruction of a Partially Collapsed Historic Building: the Cathedral of Noto, 9NAMC, 9th Int. North American Masonry Conf., 1–4/6/2003, South Carolina, USA, CD-ROM, pp. 942–953, (Clemson, 2003).Google Scholar