HIV/AIDS and the Future of the Poor, Illiterate and Marginalized Populations
KeywordsIncome Tuberculosis Smoke Malaria Cane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Population Reference Bureau, Washington D.C., http://www.prb.org/
- 2.A PDF version of the Microsoft Powerpoint presentation of the talk is available http://t8web.lanl.gov/people/rajan/HIV_Poor_rg_05.pdf.
- 3.See the United Nations Human Development Report 2005 at http://hdr.undp.org/reports/global/2005.
- 4.Address by Gro Harlem Brundtland to the 55World Health Assembly. Avai- lable at http://www.who.int/directorgeneral/speeches/2002/english/20020513_addresstothe55WHA.html.
- 5.Commission on Macroeconomics and Health chaired by Prof. Jeffrey Sachs. World Health Organization 2001 report available at http://www.who.int/whosis/cmh/.
- 6.Jeffrey Sachs, “The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities of Our Time”, Penguin Press 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.National Intelligence Council report “The Next wave of HIV/AIDS: Nigeria, Ethiopia, Russia, India, and China”, September 2002. Available at http://www.odci.gov/nic.
- 8.See reports on production, trafficking and control by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime at http://www.unodc.org/unodc/index.html.
- 9.Rajan Gupta, “Risky Sex, Addictions, and Communicable Diseases in India: Implications for Health, Development, and Security”, Special Report 8 in the Health and Security Series by the Chemical and Biological Arms Control Insti-tute (CBACI), Washington D.C., September 2004. Available at http://t8web.lanl.gov/people/rajan/AIDS-india/MYWORK/Gupta_HIV_India.pdf.
- 10.For a very insightful discussion on the connection between migration and development see Hernando de Soto, The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else, Basic Books, 2000.Google Scholar
- 11.United Nations Millennium Development Goals at http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/.
- 13.Sandra Postel, “Pillar of Sand: Can the Irrigation Miracle Last?”, W.W. Norton, 1999.Google Scholar
- 14.Jarad Diamond, “Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed”, Penguin Group, 2005.Google Scholar
- 15.Rajan Gupta, “Education, the Key to Development: Lessons from India”. Available at http://t8web.lanl.gov/people/rajan/AIDS-india/MYWORK/education_India_Arab.pdf.
© Springer 2006