HIV/AIDS and the Future of the Poor, Illiterate and Marginalized Populations
KeywordsReproductive Health Purchasing Power Parity Money Laundering Marginalize Population Migrant Community
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Population Reference Bureau, Washington D.C., http://www.prb.org/
- 2.A PDF version of the Microsoft Powerpoint presentation of the talk is available http://t8web.lanl.gov/people/rajan/HIV_Poor_rg_05.pdf.
- 3.See the United Nations Human Development Report 2005 at http://hdr.undp.org/reports/global/2005.
- 4.Address by Gro Harlem Brundtland to the 55World Health Assembly. Avai- lable at http://www.who.int/directorgeneral/speeches/2002/english/20020513_addresstothe55WHA.html.
- 5.Commission on Macroeconomics and Health chaired by Prof. Jeffrey Sachs. World Health Organization 2001 report available at http://www.who.int/whosis/cmh/.
- 6.Jeffrey Sachs, “The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities of Our Time”, Penguin Press 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.National Intelligence Council report “The Next wave of HIV/AIDS: Nigeria, Ethiopia, Russia, India, and China”, September 2002. Available at http://www.odci.gov/nic.
- 8.See reports on production, trafficking and control by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime at http://www.unodc.org/unodc/index.html.
- 9.Rajan Gupta, “Risky Sex, Addictions, and Communicable Diseases in India: Implications for Health, Development, and Security”, Special Report 8 in the Health and Security Series by the Chemical and Biological Arms Control Insti-tute (CBACI), Washington D.C., September 2004. Available at http://t8web.lanl.gov/people/rajan/AIDS-india/MYWORK/Gupta_HIV_India.pdf.
- 10.For a very insightful discussion on the connection between migration and development see Hernando de Soto, The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else, Basic Books, 2000.Google Scholar
- 11.United Nations Millennium Development Goals at http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/.
- 13.Sandra Postel, “Pillar of Sand: Can the Irrigation Miracle Last?”, W.W. Norton, 1999.Google Scholar
- 14.Jarad Diamond, “Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed”, Penguin Group, 2005.Google Scholar
- 15.Rajan Gupta, “Education, the Key to Development: Lessons from India”. Available at http://t8web.lanl.gov/people/rajan/AIDS-india/MYWORK/education_India_Arab.pdf.
© Springer 2006