RECENT ADVANCES IN DEVELOPMENT OF THE DIE-CAST COPPER ROTOR MOTOR
Performance of several motorswhere copper has been substituted for aluminum in the rotor squirrel cage is reported. Copper rotor motors die cast in India for agri-pumping were dynamometer and field tested. Copper rotors resulted in higher electrical energy efficiency, slightly higher rotational speed, lower operating temperature, and higher pumping rates and volume pumped per unit of input energy. SEW-Eurodrive motors with copper rotors are also described. A 1.1 kW motor with copper simply substituted and a 5.5 kW motor with redesigned rotor and stator are described. The copper rotor reduced losses in all major categories. Full-load efficiency was increased 6.7 and 3.1 percentage points, respectively. Finally, a study to minimize formation of large pores in die-cast rotors is summarized.
KeywordsCopper Motor Motor Manufacturer Outer Motor Starting Torque Rotor Lamination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.T. Peters, J.G. Cowie, E.F. Brush Jr., S.P. Midson, “Advances in Pressure Die Casting of Electrical Grade Copper”, Amer. Foundry Society Congress Paper No. 02-002, Kansas City, MO, 2002.Google Scholar
- D.T. Peters, J.G. Cowie, E.F. Brush Jr., S.P. Midson, “Use of High Temperature Die Materials and Hot Dies for High Pressure Die Casting Pure Copper and Copper Alloys”, Trans. of the North Amer. Die Casting Assoc. Congress, Rosemont, IL, 2002.Google Scholar
- J.G. Cowie, D.T. Peters, D.T. Brender, “Die-Cast Copper Rotors for Improved Motor Performance”, Conference Record of the 49th IEEE-IAS Pulp and Paper Conference, Charleston, SC, June 2003.Google Scholar
- E.F. Brush Jr., J.G. Cowie, D.T. Peters, D.J. Van Son, “Die-Cast Copper Motor Rotors: Motor Test Results, Copper Compared to Aluminum”, Trans. of the Third International Conference on Energy Efficiency in Motor Driven Systems (EEMODS), Treviso, Italy, September 2002, pp. 136–143.Google Scholar
- D.T. Peters, S.P. Midson, W.G. Walkington, E.F. Brush Jr., J.G. Cowie, “Porosity Control in Copper Rotor Die Castings”, Trans. of the North Amer. Die Casting Assoc. Congress, Indianapolis, IN, 2003.Google Scholar