This painting — henceforth called the Small self-portrait to distinguish it from the two other painting bearing Rembrandt’s effigy in Viema—has received only scant attention in the literature. While its authenticity has never been doubted only, its date has been subject to discussion. An assessment of this (most likely cut down) painting is hampered by its complex material history and relatively poor condition.
KeywordsPaint Layer Paint Surface Present Dimension Original Paint Rough Ground
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.W. Beurs, De groote Waereld in’t kleen geschildert, (…), Amsterdam 1692, p. 18.Google Scholar
- 4.Adriaen van der Werff, The Virgin with Christ and the infant St John, panel 33.7 × 26 cm, Amsterdam, Rijksmuseum inv. no. C 1604. B. Gaehtgens, Adriaen van der Werff 1659–1722, Munich 1987, p. 338.Google Scholar
- 5.Gerson 324.Google Scholar
- 6.Bauch 1966, 326.Google Scholar
- 7.Tümpel 1986, cat. no. 171.Google Scholar
- 9.C. Wright, Rembrandt: Self-Portraits, London 1982, pp. 43–44.Google Scholar