Toxigenic Fungi and Mycotoxins in Romania: Challenges and Approaches
Pre-harvest and post-harvest occurrence of agriculturally important toxigenic species of Fusarium, Aspergillus and Penicillium, is a worldwide phenomenon. Unprecedented damaging Fusarium epidemics registered after 1990 on wheat in Europe, the USA and Canada have re-emerged scientific and social concerns on these pathogens, since many of them cause not only severe reduction in crop yield, but are often associated with contamination of related mycotoxins. From field to foork, many mycotoxins with harmful effect on humans and livestock health, such as aflatoxins, ochratoxins, patulin and the Fusarium toxins are hazardous during storage, food processing and transport. The major sources of mycotoxins studied up to now are products made from cereals, in particular wheat and corn, but with regard to toxigenic strains of Aspergillus and Penicillium grapes must be also carefully considered.
KeywordsHPLC Maize Europe Milling Acetyl
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ittu, M. and Miedaner T. (2001). Genetic and environmental variation of DON production and aggressiveness in the wheat/Fusarium graminearum, pathosystem, International Symposium Bioactive fungal metabolites-impact and exploitation. Swansea. UK. 22–27 April. 2001: 68.Google Scholar
- Macri A., M. Schollenberger, Z. Dancea, W. Drochner. (2003). Zearalenone and ergosterol contents in corn samples of Romania. Abstracts of the 25th Mycotoxin Workshop, Giessen, 19–21 May, 2003: 45Google Scholar
- Nichita G., V. G. Curtui, V. Miclea, A. Trif. (1996). Mycotic and mycotoxic pollution of fodders-a risk factor for animal health. Proceedings of the Scientific Communication Meeting of „ Aurel Vlaicu University“, Third Edition, 16–17 May 1996, Arad, Romania, 11: 65–68 (In Romanian).Google Scholar
- Ordinul de guvern nr. 84/91 13–28 februarie 2002 pentru aprobarea Normelor privind contaminantii din alimente, publicat in M. Of Nr. 255 din 16 aprilie 2002.Google Scholar
- Romanian statistical yearbook 2002. (2003) NIS, Bucharest, Romania,869 p.Google Scholar
- Trif A., G. Sircuta, F. Muselin.(2003). Mycotic and mycotoxic contamination of some sorts of fodders in Timis district during 1998–2002. Proceedings of the First Romanian Seminar „Mycotoxin contamination of cereals-risks and challenges for farmers, food processors and consumers“, 30 January 2003, Bucharest. (In press)Google Scholar