Australia began in 1901 as a federation of six former penal and agricultural British colonies. Today following a number of waves of post-war immigration it has about 20 million inhabitants of diverse ethnic backgrounds. It is one of the most urbanised countries in the world: the five larger State capitals are primate cities with at least 60 percent of the State population in their boundaries. Much of the huge interior is unsuited for settlement and is very sparsely populated. Special housing responses have been necessary for people living in these remote areas, especially the indigenous inhabitants, the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) people. The housing and re-housing of servicemen following two world wars has also played a significant role in housing policy.
KeywordsPublic Housing Social Housing Housing Stock Asset Management Housing Association
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2002) National housing assistance data dictionary version 2, Canberra, AIHW.Google Scholar
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2003) Commonwealth-State housing agreement national data reports; public rental housing, Canberra, AIHW.Google Scholar
- Berry, M, Flood, J., Lindfield, M. and Fisher, J. (1997) Institutional investment in housing: an Australian perspective; development of investment models aimed at encouraging institutional investment in rental housing; a report for the Department of Social Security, Melbourne AHURI.Google Scholar
- Berry, M. and Hall, J., with the Allen Consulting Group (2001) Policy options for stimulating private investment in affordable housing across Australia; Stage 1 report: outlining the need for action; stage 2 report: identifying and evaluating the policy options (Prepared by AHURI for the Affordable Housing National Research Consortium).Google Scholar
- Brian Elton Associates (2000) Private finance and community housing: recent initiatives, paper for the National Community Housing Forum (May, 2000), http://www.nchf.org.au/finance.htm.
- Burke, T and Hayward, D. (1999) Performance indicators and social housing in Australia, Institute for Social Research, Swinburne University.Google Scholar
- Clough, R., Barbato, C., Farrar, A. and Phibbs, P. (2003). Stakeholder requirements for enabling regulatory arrangements for community housing in Australia., Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute, Sydney Research Centre http://www.ahuri.edu.au/attachments/pp stakerequirements.pdf.
- Department of Family and Community Services (2002) Housing Assistance Act annual report 1999–2000, Canberra, DFACS.Google Scholar
- Flood, J. (2002) Modelling construction and repair decisions in indigenous housing. Paper for the European Network for Housing Research Conference, Vienna, July 2002.Google Scholar
- Hayward, D. (1996) The reluctant landlords: the history of public housing in Australia, Urban Policy and Planning 14, 1, pp. 5–35.Google Scholar
- Larkin, A. (2000) Asset Management Strategies; a review of Asset Management Strategies of Housing Associations in England and Social Housing Providers in Australia, London, Metropolitan Housing Trust/The Housing Corporation.Google Scholar
- McNelis, S., Hayward, D. and Bisset, H. (2001) A private retail investment vehicle for the community housing sector: positioning paper, AHURI Swinburne-Monash Research Centre.Google Scholar
- Randolph, W. (2000) A review of public housing estate renewal in Australia. A presentation to the Queensland Department of Housing Urban Renewal Seminar (April 2000), Urban Frontiers Program UWS.Google Scholar
- South Australian Housing Trust (2001) Chronological History of the SAHT.Google Scholar
- South Australian Housing Trust (2003), Strategic Asset Management Plan 2002–2007, Adelaide, SAHT http://www.housingtrust.sa.gov.au/text/text.asp?swId=1snId=3. Google Scholar
- SGS (1997) Public housing estate renewal in Australia; AHRF Project Number 212; (Appendix 2: case studies; Appendix 3: New South Wales housing options appraisal system; Appendix 4: manual for sectored cost benefit analysis).Google Scholar
- SGS (1999) (with Urban Resources) Identification of strategic asset management best practice for indigenous housing organizations; Volume 1, Policy and Strategic Issues (June, 1999 ).Google Scholar
- SGS (2000) Public housing estate renewal in Australia (AHRF Project 212).Google Scholar
- Tucker, S.N. et al. (1996) Housing stock condition index (AHRF Project), CSIRO Division of Building, Construction and Engineering.Google Scholar
- Urban Resources and SGS (1999) Methodology for developing benchmarking for housing outcomes (AHRF Project 208, Final Report).Google Scholar