In this paper, we present MultiJADE, a domain independent multiagent active design documents environment. MultiJADE uses multiagent technology to support activities in concurrent and distributed design systems. It is able to deal with various domains and allows multiple designers to work simultaneously. MultiJADE is based on the Active Design Documents (ADD) approach. It uses the ADD’s potential for capturing and generating design rationale for supporting conflict mitigation whenever conflicts between designers arise during a concurrent design. This paper shows how MultiJADE enables the construction of concurrent and distributed design systems and how they may be used for mitigating conflicts during the design process. We also exemplify the use of MultiJADE with a prototype system that supports the decision about human resource allocation costs on a concurrent and distributed design.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bergamachi, S, Gelati, G, Guerra, F and Vincini, M: 2003, Wink: A web-based system for collaborative project management in Virtual Enterprises, Fourth International Conference on Web Information Systems Engineering, pp.176–185.Google Scholar
- Garcia, ACB, Andrade, JC, Rodrigues, RF and Moura, R: 1997, ADDVAC: Applying active design documents for capture, retrieval and use of rationale during offshore platform VAC design, Proceedings of the 14th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, AAAI Press, Rhode Island,Providence, pp. 986–991.Google Scholar
- Garcia, ACB. and Howard, HC: 1993, Active design documents: From information archives to design model construction, Proceedings of the Artificial Intelligence in Engineering Conference, Toulose, France, pp. 233–244,Google Scholar
- Garcia, ACB. and Vivacqua, A: 1997, MultiADD: A multiagent active design document model to support group design, Proceedings of the 14th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, AAAI Press, Rhode Island, Providence, pp. 1066–1071Google Scholar
- Jeon, H, Petrie, C and Cutkosky, MR: 2000, JATLite: A Java agent infrastructure with message routing, IEEE Internet Computing 1089–7801/00/IEEE 4(2): 87–96. Available at http://www-cdr.stanford.edu/ProcessLink/papers/jat/jatlite.html CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nwana, HS, Ndumu, DT, Lee, LC and Collis, JC: 1999, ZEUS: A toolkit and approach for building distributed multi-agent systems, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Autonomous Agents, Seattle, WA, USA, ACM Press, pp. 360–361Google Scholar
- Sycara, KP: 1998, Multiagent systems, AI magazine 19(2): 79–92.Google Scholar
- Varejão, FM and Pessoa, RM: 2002, JADE: A computational environment for constructing, using and reusing active design documents, Proceedings of the Fifth WG 5.2 Workshop on Knowledge Intensive CAD, Borg, JC & Farrugia, PF (eds), pp. 99–114.Google Scholar