The most extensive footprint of human habitation of the Earth’s surface is inscribed on the landscape through forest conversion for agriculture, logging, and urbanization. The planet’s intact old-growth forests have dwindled to approximately one-fifth of their original cover.
KeywordsEnvironmental Kuznets Curve Forest Clearing Forest Conversion Tropical Deforestation Cultural Geography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Annan, K. 2001. Address to the 97th Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers. New York City.Google Scholar
- Carr, D. L. 2002. The Role of Population Change in Land Use and Land Cover Change in Rural Latin America: Uncovering Local Processes Concealed by Macro-Level Data, In M. H. Y. Himiyama and T. Ichinose, eds. Land Use Changes in Comparative Perspective. Enfield, NH, and Plymouth, U.K.: Science Publishers.Google Scholar
- Carr, D. L. and R. E. Bilsborrow. 2001. Population and Land Use/Cover Change: A Regional Comparison Between Central America and South America. Journal of Geography Education 43: 7–16.Google Scholar
- Committee on Sustainable Agriculture and the Environment in the Humid Tropics (CSAEHT). 1993. Sustainable Agriculture and the Environment in the Humid Tropics. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- FAO. 2001. The Global Forest Resources Assessment. 2000. Summary Report. Report No. COFO2001/INF.5. Rome: Committee on Forestry, Food and Agriculture Organziation (FAO) of the United Nations.Google Scholar
- Geist, H. J. and E. F. Lambdin. 2001. What Drives Tropical Deforestation? A Meta-Analysis of Proximate and Underlying Causes of Deforestation Based on Sub-National Case Study Evidence. Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium: LUCC International Project Office.Google Scholar
- Lambdin, E. B. et al. 2001. The Causes of Land-Use and Land-Cover Change: Moving Beyond the Myths. Global Environmental Change Human and Policy Dimensions 4.Google Scholar
- Mather, A. C. et al. 1999. Environmental Kuznets Curves and Forest Trends. Geography 84(362): 55–65.Google Scholar
- Parsons, J. A. 1994. Cultural Geography at Work, In K. E. Foote, P. J. Hugill, K. Mathewson, and J. M. Smith, eds. Re-Reading Cultural Geography, 281–288. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.Google Scholar