Inference to the Best Theory, Rather than Inference to the Best Explanation — Kinds of Abduction and Induction
An interesting consequence of the structuralist theory of truth approximation, as developed in my From Instrumentalism to Constructive Realism (2000), henceforth ICR, concerns so-called ‘inference to the best explanation’ (IBE). It will be argued that this popular rule among scientific realists can better be replaced by, various kinds of, ‘inference to the best theory’ (IBT).
KeywordsAssure Stratification Posit Stake Guaran
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aliseda, A., (1997), Seeking Explanations: Abduction in Logic, Philosophy of Science and Artificial Intelligence. Dissertation Stanford. Amsterdam: ILLC Dissertations Series ( 1997–04)Google Scholar
- Cartwright, N., (1989), Natural capacities and their measurement. Oxford: Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Douven, I., (to appear), “Empirical equivalence, explanatory force, and the inference to the best theory”, to appear in: R. Festa, A. Aliseda, and J. Peijnenburg (Eds.), Confirmation, Empirical Progress, and Truth Approximation. Essays in Debate with Theo Kuipers, Volume 1. Amsterdam: Rodopi.Google Scholar
- Giere, R. (1985), “Constructive realism”, in: P. Churchland and C. Clifford (Eds.), Images of science. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, pp. 75–98.Google Scholar
- Grobler, A. and Wiśniewski, A., (to appear), “Explanation and Theory-Evaluation”, to appear in: R. Festa, A. Aliseda, and J. Peijnenburg (Eds.), Cognitive Structures in Scientific Inquiry. Essays in Debate with Theo Kuipers, Volume 2. Amsterdam: Rodopi.Google Scholar
- Kuipers, T., (2001), Structures in Science. Heuristic patterns based on cognitive structures. An advanced textbook in neo-classical philosophy of science. Synthese Library, Volume 301. Dordrecht: Kluwer AP.Google Scholar
- Lipton, P., (1991), Inference to the best explanation. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Niiniluoto, I., (to appear), “Abduction and truthlikeness”, to appear in: R. Festa, A. Aliseda, and J. Peijnenburg (Eds.) Confirmation, Empirical Progress, and Truth Approximation. Essays in Debate with Theo Kuipers, Volume 1. Amsterdam: Rodopi.Google Scholar
- Panofsky, W., and Phillips, M., (19622), Classical Electricity and Magnetism. London: AddisonWesley.Google Scholar
- Salmon et al., (1992, 1999), Introduction to the Philosophy of Science. Indianapolis/ Cambridge: Hackett Publishing Cy.Google Scholar
- Thagard, P., (1988), Computational philosophy of science. Cambridge: MIT-press.Google Scholar