A Method of Obtaining Isothermal, Constant High Strain Rate Stress-strain Data
A novel forging machine, based on a tubular induction motor, has been tooled up and instrumented to obtain isothermal stress-strain curves to large strains at constant high strain rates, in the range 20–800/sec. The method uses recordings in the high speed compression of right cylindrical specimens and subsequently compensates for strain rate and temperature variations by simple calculations based on quasi-static stress-strain data. The results agree well with those obtained incrementally.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Lengyel and L. E. Culver (1969). Properties of materials extruded by orthodox hydrostatic extrusion. J. Inst. Metals, 97 Google Scholar
- 2.R. M. Guha and B. Lengyel (1972). Temperature distribution in extrusion drawing. Annals CIRP., 21/1 Google Scholar
- 3.B. Lengyel and M. Mohitpour (1972). Dynamic stress-strain data to large strains. J. Inst. Metals, 100 Google Scholar
- 4.M. Mohitpour and B. Lengyel. Temperature rise in the high speed compression of right cylindrical billets.Google Scholar
- 5.R. N. Aggrawal and B. Lengyel (1974). On the properties of hydrostatically extruded copper. Annals CIRP, 23/1,71Google Scholar
- 6.R. Davies and E. R. Austin (1970). Developments in High Speed Metal Forming, 87–123, Machinery Publ. Co.Google Scholar
- 7.H. Suzuki, S. Hasizuma, Y. Yakubi, Y. Ichihara, S. Nakajima and H. Kenmuchi. Inst Indust. Sci. Rep., Tokyo University, 18 (3)Google Scholar
- 8.K. Fink, W. Lueg and G. Bürger (1955). Formänderungsfestigkeit von unlegierten und niedrig legierten Stählen beim Warmstauchen unter einem Fallhammer. Archiv für das Eisenhüttenwesen, 26, 11Google Scholar
- 9.A. B. Waits and H. Ford (1955). Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., 169 Google Scholar
- 10.S. Okamara and K. Nakanishi (1971). Thermal behaviour of metals under high speed deformation-Part IV: Thermal behaviour of plastically deformed metals. Japan Soc. Tech. Plas., 2 (128)Google Scholar
- 11.P. Sadigh and B. Lengyel (1975). Design, development and testing of the Electroforge. Annals CIRP Google Scholar
- 12.S. C. Jain and E. Amini (1968). Proc. 9th Int. Mach. Tool Des. and Res. Conf., 229Google Scholar
- 13.M. Mohitpour (1972). Effects of strain rate, friction and temperature distribution in high speed axisymmetric upsetting. Ph.D. Thesis, University of LondonGoogle Scholar