Tube Cropping with a Floating Mandrel
The most important point in tube cropping is to prevent the distortion of the work tube that can obviously be solved by using an accurate mandrel mounted inside the tube, but loading and feeding of the tube become difficult besides that of a complicated device.
This paper deals with a new simple tube cropping tool which is most likely to solve these problems by making one mandrel floating (unfixed). By a preliminary cropping test of Cu and Bs tubes with different thicknesses, the various aspects of this tube cropping method were experimentally investigated and optimum cropping conditions were made clear. This tube cropping with floating mandrel was also applied for the cropping of 40ϕ steel tube of 5mm wall thickness and the effect of cropping speed was investigated by using hydraulic, mechanical and high speed presses. In the next development, a new tube cropping tool with a floating mandrel was designed and fabricated for the actual production cropping of pure aluminium tube.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Catalogue of Pines Engineering Co.Google Scholar
- Catalogue of Vulcan Tool Co.Google Scholar
- T. Maeda (1958) Measuring of the Side Force Acting on Shearing Tools, Jour. Japan Soc. of Prec. Engg., Vol. 24, No. 11, p. 575Google Scholar
- T. Nakagawa and T. Maeda (1970) Billet Production by Clamp Shearing Method, Proc. 4th Int’l Conf. on Cold Forging, Düsseldorf, p. 351Google Scholar
- M.K. Das and S.A. Tobias (1976) Recent advances in high-speed cropping, Meta-llurgia and Metal Forming, Vol.43, No.2 p.47Google Scholar