Strain and Pressure Distribution in Extrusion Containers
Cyclic pressures in the region of 20 kb are not uncommon in extrusion containers. Before such containers could be designed with any confidence, the pressure distribution in the bore during extrusion must be known.
Experiments were carried out to obtain strain and pressure distributions in direct extrusion under various conditions. Foil strain gauges were attached to the outside diameter of the container and calibrated by the application of a known fluid pressure at different positions of the plunger. By recording gauge output the strain distribution as a function of plunger displacement was found and, through comparison with the calibration results, the pressure distribution in the container bore was determined.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.HARVEY, D.C. and LENGYEL, B. (1973). Fatigue of open-ended thick cylinders supported by static external fluid pressure. High Temperatures, High Pressures, 5, pp 515–530.Google Scholar
- 3.LENGYEL, B. and HARVEY, D.C. (1972). Elastic stresses at seals in plain and necked open-ended cylinders under internal and external pressures. Proc. 12th MTDR Conf., p 573.Google Scholar
- 4.KUDO, H. and MATSUBARA, S. (1968). Stress analysis in cylindrical dies of finite length subjected to a band of internal pressure. J. Jap. Soc. for Techn. and Plast.Google Scholar
- 5.SIEBEL, E. and LUEG, W. (1933). Untersuchungen über die Spannungsverteilung im Walzspalt. Mitteilungen aus dem Kaiser Wilhelm Institut für Eisenforschung, 15, p 1.Google Scholar
- 6.FRISCH, J. and THOMSEN, E.G. (1954). An experimental study of metal extrusions at various strain rates. Trans. ASME, 76, p 599.Google Scholar
- 7.FRISCH, J. (1955). Contribution to the knowledge of pressure measurements during metal deformation. Trans. ASME, 77, p 509.Google Scholar
- 8.EL-BEHERY, A.M., LAMBLE, J.H. and JOHNSON, W. (1963). The measurement of container wall pressure and friction coefficient in axi-symmetric extrusion. Proc. 4th MTDR Conf., Manchester, p 319.Google Scholar
- 9.KUDO, H. (1961). Some analytical and experimental studies of axi-symmetric cold forging and extrusion. Int. J.Mech. Sci., 3.Google Scholar
- 11.KAMYAB, S. and ALEXANDER, J.M. (1972). Pressure distribution in hydrostatic extrusion dies. J. Strain Analysis, 7, No 3.Google Scholar
- 12.MUSUVA, J.K. (1975). Strain and pressure distribution in conventional extrusion containers. MSc Thesis, University of London.Google Scholar