Estimation of Handling Cost Reductions Due to Layout Changes
The minimisation of materials handling costs is one of the major aims in layout planning, yet materials handling is still a qualitative art rather than a quantitative science. This paper outlines an approach to quantification of handling costs based on the quantity-distance product and describes the facilities for calculating this measure provided by the PLANTAPT computer package for plant layout analysis. The paper then goes on to propose an approximate macro approach to estimating handling cost reductions, utilising data published by the Department of Industry which may be appropriate when detailed cost factors are not available. Two examples of the use of the measure are described.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dept. of Industry Committee for Materials Handling, 1977, Materials Handling Costs — a new look at manufacture, London : NEDOGoogle Scholar
- 2.APPLE, J.M., 1973, Materials Handling System Design, New York : Ronald PressGoogle Scholar
- 3.MUTHER, R., and HAGANAES, K, 1969, Systematic Handling Analysis, Kansas City: M.I.R.P.Google Scholar
- 4.FRANCIS, R.L. and WHITE, J.A., 1974, Facility Layout and Location: An analytical approach, Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice HallGoogle Scholar
- 5.APPLE, J.M., 1966 Can you Computerise Handling Equipment Selection, Modern Materials Handling.Google Scholar
- 6.WEBSTER, D.B. and REED, R., 1971, A Materials Handling system selection model, All E Trans, 3,pl3Google Scholar
- 8.CARRIE, A.S., 1976, PLANTAPT : a package for plant layout and group technology, Proc. PROLAMAT -3 Int. Conf. Numerical Control and Programming Language for Machine Tools Stirling, June 1976, D. Macpherson, Editor, Amsterdam: North Holland.Google Scholar
- 9.CARRIE, A.S., 1977, PLANTAPT User’s Manual, Helensburgh: ComprosysGoogle Scholar
- 10.CARRIE, A.S., CHOW, C.C. and GALLAGHER, C.C., 1977, Production System Design Using PLANTAPT, Proc. MTDR, 18, London, Sept.Google Scholar
- 11.ARMOUR, G.C., BUFFA, E.S. and VOLLMANN, T.E., 1964, Allocating Facilities with CRAFT, Harv. Bus. Review, 42, 136.Google Scholar
- 12.VAUGHAN, M.R., 1977, An analysis of the efficiency and utilisation of an existing materials handling system, unpublished BSc project report, Department of Production Management and Manufacturing Technology, University of Strathclyde.Google Scholar
- 13.CHOW, C.C., 1977, Group Cells performance analysis through evaluation of materials handling costs, unpublished report, Department of Management Studies, University of Glasgow.Google Scholar
- 14.TAN, K.T., 1977, Computer aided materials handling evaluation and analysis, unpublished MSc dissertation, Department of Production Management and Manufacturing Technology, University of Strathclyde.Google Scholar