Money, Interest and Finance in Marx’s Capital
According to Marx, money capital, lent by its capitalist owner to an industrial capitalist, is ‘potential capital’. Interest payments made by borrowers to lenders are part of the global surplus value produced by labourers and appropriated by capitalists. There is no law of division of surplus value between profit and interest, no natural interest. Interest-bearing capital becomes a commodity sui generis. Its market price, the interest rate, is an irrational form of price. As a market price, the interest rate seems to arise from money capital as its own independent source.
KeywordsIncome Stake Univer Monopoly Fetishism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balibar, E. (1993) The Philosophy of Marx (London and New York: Verso). Brunhoff, S. de and P. Ewenczyck (1979) ‘La pensée monétaire de K. Marx au XIX° et au XX° siécle, in S. de Brunhoff (ed.), Les rapports d’argent Pug (Maspéro: Pug).Google Scholar
- Foley, D. (1985) Understanding Capital (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press).Google Scholar
- Guttmann, R. (1994) How Credit Money Shapes the economy (New York: M. E. Sharpe).Google Scholar
- Hilferding R. (1910) Das Finanz Kapital, translated as Finance Capital (London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1981).Google Scholar
- Keynes J. M. (1936) The general Theory of Employment, Interest and Money (New York and London: Harcourt Brace Jovanick).Google Scholar
- Marx K. (1859) A Contribution to the Critique of Political Economy, edited by M. Dobb, reprint New York: International Publishers, 1970).Google Scholar
- Marx, K. (1867) Capital, vol. I, ed. F. Engels (reprinted New York: International Publishers, 1967).Google Scholar
- Marx, K. (1893) Capital, vol. II, ed. F. Engels (reprinted New York: International Publishers, 1967).Google Scholar
- Marx, K. (1894) Capital, vol. III, ed. F. Engels (reprinted New York: International Puhlishers, 1967).Google Scholar
- Pivetti, M. (1990) ‘On the Monetary Explanation of Distribution’, in K. Bharadwaj and B. Schefold (eds), Essays on Piero Sraffa (Unwin Hyman). London.Google Scholar
- Sweezy, P. (1994) ‘The Triumph of Financial Capital’, Monthly Review, June, pp. 1–11.Google Scholar
- Wood, E. (1994) ‘The History of the Market’, Monthly Review, July–August, pp. 14–40.Google Scholar