Tribades, Gross-Dressers and Romantic Friendship
In 1722, at the age of thirty, Ann Carrack, a spinster, set up a milliner’s shop with Mary Erick in the parish of Christ Church, London. They rented a shop worth thirty pounds a year and went into partnership — ‘share & share alike’ — working together and living together in and above the shop. In 1725 they rented cheaper premises in Bull’s Head Court, just off Newgate Street, where they lived until 1729. At this point the partnership broke up and the two women went their separate ways — Ann Carrack making her living as an independent needle-woman, while Mary Erick went on to set up a small shop in the parish of Chelsea.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.