What Role for Stock Exchanges, Venture Capital and Leasing Companies in Developing the Private Sector in Africa?
Outside an office on the second floor of the Kingsway Building, Kwame Nkrumah Avenue, Accra a bright sign cheerfully invites the visitor ‘Buy a Company Today’. It is the office of the Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE). In fact, it is not possible to buy a company through the GSE — any more than it would be feasible to do so through most of Sub-Saharan Africa’s other Emerging Market exchanges.1 What it is possible for African investors to do is to buy shares, and therefore partial ownership, of a range of publicly quoted companies. How important a step forward is that?
KeywordsStock Market Venture Capital Stock Exchange Pension Fund Equity Capital
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Harvey, C. (1993) ‘The Role of Government in the Finance of Business in Botswana’, IDS Discussion Paper, 337, December.Google Scholar
- International Finance Corporation (1990–1994) IFC Emerging Stock Markets Fact Book.Google Scholar
- Jefferis, K. (1993) ‘The Botswana Share Market and its Role in Financial and Economic Development’, University of Botswana, Department of Economics Seminar Paper.Google Scholar
- Levitski, A. (1994) ‘Venture Capital and Leasing’, ODA Commissioned Study.Google Scholar
- McKendry, I. (1992) ‘The Use of Equity Finance by Development Finance Institutions in Malawi’, DPhil Thesis, University of Sussex.Google Scholar
- Martin, A. (1972) Minding their Own Business: Zambia’s Struggle Against Western Control, (London: Hutchinson).Google Scholar
- Mayer, C. (1988) ‘New Issues in Corporate Finance’, European Economic Review, June.Google Scholar
- Sagari, S.B. and G. Guidotti (1991) ‘Venture Capital: Lessons from the Developed World for the Developing Markets’, IFC Discussion Paper, 13.Google Scholar
- Singh, A. (1992) ‘The Stock-Market and Economic Development: Should Developing Countries Encourage Stock-Markets?’, UNCTAD Discussion Paper, 49.Google Scholar
- Singh, A. and Hamid, J. (1991) ‘Corporate Financial Structures in Developing Countries’, IFC Technical Paper, No. 1.Google Scholar
- Stockbrokers Botswana (1994) ‘Stockbrokers and the Botswana Share Market’.Google Scholar