Poverty and Development: The Human Development Report (1990), and the World Development Report (1990)
After the ‘adjustment decade’ of the 1980s, attention in the 1990s seems to be turning once again to longer-term issues of development, particularly poverty alleviation. If the publication of major reports by international agencies is anything to go by, the shift in attention is quite marked. Just as the 1980s were heralded by a series of reports on adjustment (for example, the World Bank’s report on adjustment in Africa), 1990 has seen the publication of two major reports on poverty: World Development Report 1990 Poverty (WDR), by the World Bank, and Human Development Report 1990 (HDR), by the UNDP. The World Bank’s report, the thirteenth in a series of annual reports on different development issues, revisits the topic of the World Development Report 1980, while the UNDP’s report is the first in a planned annual series focusing on human development.
KeywordsEurope Income Malaysia Egypt Nigeria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Desai, M. 1990. ‘Human development: Concepts and measurement’, forthcoming in European Economic Review.Google Scholar
- Ferroni, M; Kanbur, R. 1990. Poverty conscious restructuring of public expenditure. World Bank, Social Dimensions of Adjustment Unit, Africa Region.Google Scholar
- Foster, J.; Greer, J.; Thorbecke, E. 1984. ‘A class of decomposable poverty measures’, in Econometrica, May 1984, Vol. 52, No. 3.Google Scholar
- Haddad, L.; Kanbur, R. 1990. ‘How serious is the neglect of intra-household Inequality?’, in Economic Journal.Google Scholar
- Kanbur, R. 1987. Measurement and alleviation of poverty, IMF Staff Papers.Google Scholar
- Pyatt, G. 1990. ‘Poverty: A wasted decade’, forthcoming in European Economic Review.Google Scholar
- Ravallion, M.; van de Walle, D. 1988, Poverty orderings of food pricing reforms, Discussion Paper 86, Development Economics Research Centre, University of Warwick, Coventry.Google Scholar
- Sen, A. K. 1976. ‘Poverty: An ordinal approach to measurement’, in Econometrica, Mar. 1976.Google Scholar
- UNDP. 1990. Human Development Report 1990, Oxford and New York, Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- van der Gaag, J. 1990. ‘Poverty in the developing world: Assessment of the past, prospects for the future’, forthcoming in European Economic Review.Google Scholar
- World Bank. 1979. Accelerated development in Sub-Saharan Africa: An agenda for action. Washington, DC.Google Scholar