Post-Communism and the Problem with Marshall Aid
The fall of the communist regimes in Eastern Europe and the USSR has been accompanied by a clamour for some type of Marshall Aid programme to restore the economies of the region. Assistance from the West is not only necessary for the East, but a vital concern for the future stability of the West itself, and thus this contribution should not be read as an argument for neglect. On the contrary, it is vital for the Western powers to devise an effective strategy to assist the restoration of the post-communist countries. However, this paper will argue that this should be done with care and with consideration for some of the broader issues involved. The notion of a new Marshall Plan for Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union is flawed, but a plan for assistance is vital.
KeywordsEurope Income Trench Decon Abate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.For a discussion of the politics of economic reintegration, see Oliver Macdonald, ‘Eastern Europe’s New Self-Determination Problem’, Labour Focus on Eastern Europe, No. 1, 1990, pp. 14–18.Google Scholar
- 5.For a recent discussion, see Philip Hanson, ‘“Is There a Third Way” between Capitalism and Socialism?’, Report on the USSR, vol. 3, No. 35 (30 August 1991), pp. 15–25.Google Scholar
- 6.Timothy Garton Ash, The New York Review of Books, 15 February 1990, p. 21.Google Scholar
- 7.John Kenneth Galbraith, ‘The Rush to Capitalism’, New York Review of Books, 25 October 1990, p. 51Google Scholar
- elsewhere he called the same thing ‘simplistic ideology’ — see his ‘Revolt in Our Time: The Triumph of Simplistic Ideology’, in Gwyn Prins (ed.), Spring in Winter: The 1989 Revolutions (Manchester University Press, 1990), pp. 1–12.Google Scholar
- 8.Timothy Garton Ash, The New York Review of Books, 15 February 1990, p. 21.Google Scholar
- 9.Elena Bonner, The New York Review of Books, 17 May 1990, p. 16.Google Scholar
- 10.Gavriil Popov, Soviet News, 31 October 1990, p. 368.Google Scholar
- 12.Richard Layard, ‘The Great Rouble Rescue Bargain’, The Independent, 15 January 1992.Google Scholar
- 16.Timothy Garton Ash, The New York Review, 16 August 1990, p. 57.Google Scholar