We are twins, the Stranger and I. Twins, or almost. The Stranger was born on 15 June, 1942; I was born on 11 June of the same year. Separated at birth by language and geography, we encountered each other many years later.
KeywordsCane Lost Ethos Plague
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Jean-Paul Sartre, ‘An Explication of The Stranger’, in Germaine Brée (ed.) Camus: A Collection of Critical Essays (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1962), p. 116.Google Scholar
- 4.Philip Thody, Albert Camus 1913–60 (London: Hamish Hamilton, 1962), p. 47.Google Scholar
- 7.See Paul Viallaneix’s introductory essay in Camus, Youthful Writings (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1980), p. 18Google Scholar
- Herbert R. Lottman, Albert Camus: A Biography (London: Picador, 1981), p. 66.Google Scholar
- 8.Patrick Gardiner, Schopenhauer (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1963), p. 296.Google Scholar