This chapter extends the concept of arbitrage to encompass approximate arbitrage and develops the arbitrage pricing technique (or APT); this may be interpreted as a generalisation of the version of the CAPM developed in Chapter 3.
KeywordsCovariance Income Stein Volatility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, N., Roll, R. and Ross, S. (1986) ‘Economic Forces and the Stock Market’, Journal of Business, no 59, pp. 383–403.Google Scholar
- Grinblatt, M. and Titman, S. (1983) ‘Factor Pricing in a Finite Economy’, Journal of Financial Economics, no 12, pp. 495–507.Google Scholar
- Grinblatt, M. and Titman, S. (1987) ‘The Relation between Mean-Variance Efficiency and Arbitrage Pricing’, Journal of Business, no 60, pp. 97–112.Google Scholar
- Huberman, G. (1982) ‘A Simple Approach to Arbitrage Pricing’, Journal of Economic Theory, no 28, pp. 183–91.Google Scholar
- Huberman, G. (1989) ‘Arbitrage Pricing Theory’, in J. Eatwell, M. Milgate and P. Newman (eds) The New Palgrave: Finance (London: Macmillan).Google Scholar
- Johnston, J. (1984) Econometric Methods (New York: McGraw-Hill) 3rd edn.Google Scholar
- Lancaster, K. (1968) Mathematical Economics (Toronto: Macmillan).Google Scholar
- Morrison, D. (1967) Multivariate Statistical Methods (New York: McGraw-Hill).Google Scholar
- Roll, R. and Ross, S. (1980) ‘An Empirical Investigation of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory’, Journal of Finance, no 35, pp. 1073–103.Google Scholar
- Roll, R. and Ross, S. (1984) ‘The Arbitrage Pricing Approach to Strategic Planning’, Financial Analysts Journal, no 40, pp. 14–26.Google Scholar
- Ross, S. (1976) ‘Return, Risk, and Arbitrage’, in I. Friend and J. Bicksler (eds) Risk and Return in Finance (Cambridge: Ballinger).Google Scholar
- Ross, S. (1976) ‘The Arbitrage Theory of Capital Asset Pricing’, Journal of Economic Theory, no 13, pp. 341–60.Google Scholar
- Rubinstein, M. (1973) ‘A Comparative Statics Analysis of Risk Premiums’, Journal of Business, no 46, pp. 605–15.Google Scholar