An analogy between the Russian Revolution and the Decembrist uprising may seem farfetched, but Tynianov himself invites the comparison:
Griboedov’s betrayal of and his loyalty to the Decembrist cause, the intelligentsia and the revolution, an intelligentsia and a revolution which had not justified the hopes placed in it. After a revolution, its ideology is sustained by the force of inertia. But soon afterwards there begins a revision both of the revolution and of the ideas behind it.1
Time always ferments in the blood, every period of time has its own kind of fermentation.
In the twenties it was the fermentation of wine — Pushkin.
Griboedov was a vinegary fermentation.
And later, in Lermontov, in his writing and in his blood, there is the fermentation of rotten matter …
The smell of the subtlest perfumes originates in decomposition, in excrement … and in the subtlest fragrance is closest to the stench of refuse.
KeywordsPersian Version East India Company Russian Revolution Absolute Order Deferred Payment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Belinkov, Iurii Tynianov (Moscow, 1965), p. 176.Google Scholar
- 2.Iurii Tynianov, Smert’ Vazir Mukhtara (Moscow, 1935), p. 9. All page references in the text are to this edition.Google Scholar
- 3.R. Iakobson, ‘O pokolenii rastrativshem svoikh poetov’, in Smert’ Vladimira Maiakovskogo (Berlin, ‘Petropolis’, 1931), p. 40.Google Scholar
- 4.A. S. Griboedov v vospominaniiakh sovremennikov, edited by V. E. Vatsuro (Moscow, 1980) (hereafter GVS), p. 152.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Shostakovich, Diplomaticheskaia deiatel’nost’ A. S. Griboedova (Moscow, 1960) (hereafter DDG), p. 120.Google Scholar
- 7.A. S. Griboedov, Sochineniia (Moscow, 1953), (hereafter Sochineniia), p. 634.Google Scholar
- 9.D. P. Costello, ‘The Murder of Griboedov’, Oxford Slavonic Papers, VIII (1958), 66–89.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Mal’shinskii, ‘Podlinnoe delo o smerti Griboedova’, Russkii vestnik, CCVIII–CCIX (1890), 167.Google Scholar
- 14.O. Popova, Griboedov-diplomat (Moscow, 1964), p. 205.Google Scholar
- 17.Iu. Tynianov, ‘Siuzhet “Goria ot uma”’, Literaturnoe nasledstvo, XLVII–XLVIII (1946), 182.Google Scholar