In his essay, ‘Geography and Some Explorers’, Conrad recalled a moment in childhood when,
putting my finger on a spot in the very middle of the then white heart of Africa, I declared that some day I would go there. (p. 16)1
KeywordsBreak Water Personal Record Moment Break Pure Essence Endless Repetition
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Roland Barthes, Camera Lucida, translated by Richard Howard (London, 1984) p. 97.Google Scholar
- 3.Walter Benjamin, ‘The Storyteller’ in Illuminations, edited with an introduction by Hannah Arendt (London, 1970) p. 87.Google Scholar
- 6.See William Bysshe Stein, ‘The Lotus Posture’ and the Heart of Darkness, Modern Fiction Studies, 4 (1956–7) 235–7.Google Scholar
- 8.Allon White, The Uses of Obscurity (London, 1981) p. 113.Google Scholar
- 9.Fredric Jameson, The Political Unconscious (London, 1981) pp. 223–4.Google Scholar
© Linda R. Anderson 1988