The General Theory: Critical Reflections Suggested by some Important Problems of Our Time
The risk of a new ‘Great Depression, the ‘crowding-out’ of private investment by public spending, and inflationary stagnation, are the important problems of our time referred to in the title. Before setting out some critical reflections on the General Theory suggested by these problems it will be useful to make a number of more general, or as it has become customary to call them, ‘methodological’ considerations.
KeywordsMonetary Policy Public Spending Great Depression Critical Reflection Monetary Authority
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cf. A. H. Hansen, A Guide to Keynes (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1953) ch. 8Google Scholar
- and L. L. Pasinetti, Growth and Income Distribution (London: Cambridge University Press, 1976) ch. 2Google Scholar
- 3.J. M. Keynes, The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money (London: Macmillan, 1936) p. 41.Google Scholar
- 5.For equations 2 and 3 see P. Sylos Labini, ‘Prices and Distribution of Income in Manufacturing Industry’, Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, Autumn 1979.Google Scholar
- 11.See J. Schumpeter, Business Cycles: A Theoretical, Historical, and Statistical Analysis of the Capitalist Process (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1939) p. 831Google Scholar
- and R. R. Keller, ‘Factor Income Distribution in the United States during the 1920’s: a Re-examination of Fact and Theory’, Journal of Economic History, March 1973.Google Scholar
- 13.Cf. J. K. Galbraith, The Great Crash (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1961).Google Scholar
- 15.Cf. E. Fano, ‘I paesi capitalistici dalla prima guerra mondiale al 1929’, in La crisi del capitalismo negli anni ‘20, M. Telò, ed. (Bari: De Donato, 1976).Google Scholar
- 18.M. Fanno, La teoria delle fluttuazioni economiche Turin: UTET, 1957; 1st edn, 1947).Google Scholar
- 19.N. Kaldor, Origins of the New Monetarism (Cardiff: University College Press, 1981).Google Scholar
- 22.J. M. Keynes, Activities, 1941–1946: Shaping the Post-War World: Bretton Woods and Reparations, The Collected Writings of J. M. Keynes, vol. XXVI (London: Macmillan, 1980).Google Scholar