It is so tempting, even to those with no aesthetic axe to grind, to see in an artist’s oeuvre the beauty and completion which were perhaps denied to their individual productions. Between the Acts can be seen as Woolf’s swansong, her farewell to an art form which failed her just as the villagers, cows, gramophone and audience failed Miss La Trobe. It is difficult to imagine a successor to that novel; but then, it is just as difficult to imagine successors to Woolf’s previous novels. Forster’s A Passage to India is perhaps more understandably a final novel, not simply from the evidence of the author’s subsequent silence.
KeywordsSignificant Form Aesthetic Theory Poetic Language Disparate Element Narrative Voice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.M. S. Shanahan, ‘Between the Acts: Virginia Woolfs Final Endeavour in Art’, Texas Studies in Literature and Language, 14 (Spring 1972 ) 138.Google Scholar
- 5.R. S. Cammarota, ‘Musical Analogy and Internal Design in A Passage to India’, English Literature in Transition, 18 (1975) 39–46.Google Scholar
- 6.Clive Bell, Since Cézanne ( London: Chatto & Windus, 1929 ) p. 106.Google Scholar
- 11.D. S. Savage, The Withered Branch ( London: Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1950 ) p. 71.Google Scholar
- 17.Virginia Woolf, A Room of One’s Own (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1945) pp. 43, 72, 77.Google Scholar
- 22.Jacqueline Thayer, ‘Virginia Woolf: From Impressionism to Abstract Art’ (unpublished dissertation, University of Tulsa, 1977 ) p. 22.Google Scholar
- 27.Alan Wilde, Art and Life ( New York: New York University Press, 1964 ) p. 159.Google Scholar
- 30.Austin Warren, Rage for Order ( Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959 ) p. 122.Google Scholar
- 34.E. M. Forster, Pharos and Pharillon ( London: Hogarth, 1923 ) p. 83.Google Scholar
- 41.Mark Golding, ‘Virginia Woolf and the Critic as Reader’, in Virginia Woolf, ed. Claire Sprague (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1971 ) p. 161.Google Scholar
- 42.Virginia Woolf, The Moment and Other Essays ( New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1974 ) p. 173.Google Scholar