Financial Repression and the Liberalisation Problem within Less-Developed Countries
In less-developed countries, open markets for common stocks, bonds, mortgages, or even commercial bills are insignificant. This does not constitute a ‘distortion’, but merely reflects low per capita income and the resulting small scale of individual acts of saving and investment. Information is insufficient to have small farmers or merchants issue their own notes or shares that are publicly traded.
KeywordsDepression Income Marketing Assure Turkey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balassa, et al., The Structure of Protection in Developing Countries (Johns Hopkins Press, 1971).Google Scholar
- Bhagwati, J., Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes (National Bureau of Economic Research, 1978 ).Google Scholar
- Donald, G., Credit for Small Farmers in Developing Countries (Westview Press, 1976 ).Google Scholar
- Fry, M. S., ‘Money and Capital or Financial Deepening in Economic Development?’ Journal of Money, Credit and Banking (1978).Google Scholar
- Kapur, B, B., ‘Alternative Stabilisation Policies for Less Developed Economies’, Journal of Political Economy, vol. 84, no. 4, part I (August, 1976 ).Google Scholar
- Krueger, Anne, Liberalisation Attempts and Consequences (National Bureau of Economic Research, 1978 ).Google Scholar
- Little, I., Scitovsky, T. and Scott, M., The Structure of Protection in Developing Countries (Johns Hopkins Press for the IRBD, 1971 ).Google Scholar
- Mathieson, D. J., ‘Financial Reform and Stabilisation Policy in a Developing Economy’, Research Department of International Monetary Fund (mimeo) (March 1978).Google Scholar
- McKinnon, R. I., Money and Capital in Economic Development ( The Brookings Institution: Washington, DC, 1973 ).Google Scholar
- McKinnon, R. I., ‘La Intermediacion Financiera y el Control Monetario en Chile’, Cuadernos de Economia (December 1977).Google Scholar
- Shaw, E. S., Financial Deepening in Economic Development (Oxford University Press, 1973 ).Google Scholar
- Tsiang, S. C., ‘Exchange Rate, Interest Rate, and Economic Development,’ in Essays in Honor of T. C. Liu (1978).Google Scholar