Market Behaviour and the Stock Exchange
Factors affecting the market for securities are reviewed, special attention being given to economic forces and government controls. In the light of this discussion the possibilities for forecasting future general trends in market prices are considered. Particular attention is given to the effect of inflation — both at low stable rates and at accelerating rates — on prices and yields of securities. A brief review of the sources of information available to investors follows, and the chapter concludes with an account of the role of the Stock Exchange and a summary of its more important procedures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Bacon and W. Eltis, Britain’s Economic Problem: Too Few Producers (London: Macmillan, 1976).Google Scholar
- W. J. Baumol, The Stock Exchange and Economic Efficiency (Fordham University Press, 1965).Google Scholar
- H. D. Berman, The Stock Exchange (London: Pitman, 1973).Google Scholar
- R. J. Briston, The Stock Exchange and Investment Analysis (London: Allen & Unwin, 1975).Google Scholar
- P. Donaldson, Economics of the Real World (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1973).Google Scholar
- W. Eltis, ‘The Failure of the Keynesian Conventional Wisdom’, Lloyds Bank Review, October 1976.Google Scholar
- J. K. Galbraith, Money (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1975).Google Scholar
- T. G. Goff, Theory and Practice of Investment (London: Heinemann, 1975).Google Scholar
- R. Heller, The Naked Investor (London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1976).Google Scholar
- K. Midgley, Companies and their Shareholders: the Uneasy Relationship (London: Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators, 1975).Google Scholar
- J. Pen, Modern Economics (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1967).Google Scholar
- A. P. Thirlwall, ‘The U.K.’s Economic Problem: A Balance of Payments Constraint?’, National Westminster Bank Quarterly Review, February 1978.Google Scholar
- For a list of Stock Exchange publications, write to The Public Relations Department, The Stock Exchange, London EC2N 1HP.Google Scholar