Introduction — Environmental Perspectives
This chapter will introduce by way of background some basic issues that affect environmental law. We shall firstly outline some general ethical concerns. We shall then briefly introduce the notions of environment and pollution. We shall suggest possible relationships between law and ethics and sketch the evolution of environmental law. Finally we shall try to place the ethical issues against their political, social and economic background. In the following chapter we shall discuss particular ethical theories.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ball, S. and Bell, S. (1997) Environmental Law: The Law and Policy Relating to the Protection of the Environment, 4th edn, chapter 1 (London: Blackstone Press).Google Scholar
- Cooper, D.E. and Palmer, J.A. (eds) (1992) The Environment in Question: Ethics and Global Issues, chapters 10, 12 and 17 (London: Routledge).Google Scholar
- Des Jardins, J.R. (1997) Environmental Ethics: An Introduction to Environmental Philosophy, 2nd edn, chapters 1 and 3 (Belmont, CA: Wadsworth).Google Scholar
- Dobson, A. (1995) Green Political Thought, 2nd edn, chapter 1 (London: Routledge).Google Scholar
- Dobson, A. and Lucardie, P. (eds) (1993) The Politics of Nature: Explorations in Green Political Theory, chapters 1 and 2 (London: Routledge).Google Scholar
- Elworthy, S. and Holder, J. (1997) Environmental Protection, Text and Materials, chapters 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8 (London: Butterworths).Google Scholar
- Gillroy J.M. (ed.) (1993) Environmental Risk, Fundamental Values and Political Choices, chapters 1, 2, 3 and 6 (Boulder, Colorado, Westview Press).Google Scholar
- Lowe, P., Clark, J., Seymour, S. and Ward, N. (1997) Moralising the Environment, chapters 1, 7 and 8 (London: UCL Press).Google Scholar
- Malcolm, R. (1994) A Guidebook to Environmental Law, chapters 1 and 10 (London: Sweet and Maxwell).Google Scholar
- Passmore, J. (1980) Man’s Responsibility for Nature: Ecological Problems and Western Tradition, 2nd edn, chapters 1, 2 and 3 (London: Duckworth).Google Scholar
- Pearce, D. (ed.) (1991) Blueprint 2, Greening the World Economy, chapters 1 and 3 (London: Earthscan).Google Scholar
- Sagoff, M. (1988) The Economy of the Earth: Philosophy, Law and Economics (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).Google Scholar